Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bellator's Raphael Butler talks about near-fight with boxing champion Tyson Fury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellator's Raphael Butler talks about near-fight with boxing champion Tyson Fury

http://www.fightsports.tv/story/3106...ion-tyson-fury

Prior to pulling off an unthinkable upset against Wladimir Klitschko in November, Tyson Fury was contemplating a move to MMA. "The Gypsy Prince" had preliminary talks with Bellator President Scott Coker about fighting under the Bellator banner.

Had Fury lost to Klitschko, we could be talking about the Briton's MMA debut in 2016, but instead we are gearing up for Fury-Klitschko II.

And if Fury did go to Bellator, it was likely he would have fought Raphael Butler.

“I would love to fight Tyson Fury. It would be a long time coming because when I was boxing, the name Tyson Fury came up to me as a possible fight,” Raphael Butler said in an interview with Sherdog. “I was ready to sign the contract and his people pulled out of the contract like a month before we were supposed to fight. I would love to get that redemption.”

Butler would have been a good fit for Fury, given his extensive career as a pro boxer. In fact, "The Silencer" still spars with Deontay Wilder.

“I was more disappointed because I’ve worked with Wladimir Klitschko, and the way he fought that fight was very confusing to me,” Butler said. “I’ve never seen him fight like that. People were saying that it is because he was the smaller man, but I don’t think it was that. I don’t want to make excuses for anybody as far as the fight game goes, but Wladimir has a lot of personal stuff going on right now, and I would think that would have something to [do] with how he fought that fight. I’m a Klitschko fan, and he looked horrible that fight. That fight wasn’t more of what Tyson Fury did, it was more of what Vladimir Klitschko didn’t do.”

While Butler would be open to a fight with Fury, he doesn't think his style would serve him well inside a cage.

“His fighting style is way too defensive to be in MMA, I think. But if he wants to come along, bring it on, brother,” Butler said. “I will have no problems being his first fight. It would probably be his last.”

Fury would bury you and your buddy Wilder on the same night you nobody.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
    X