No announcement yet.

Purses for Saturday: Canelo 1.5M, Lara 1M

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
    Agree with everything you wrote. The thing with boxing is that if your able to beat the odds and somehow become the face of your sport ( Mayweather, PAC, Oscar, Tyson, SRL,Ali, Joe Louis). You'll probably make more $ then any other athlete of your era.

History's shown that boxers will most likely get taken advantage of and lose a majority if not all of it. But the earning potential in boxing for the top 1 or 2 guys is absolutly crazy especially now in the PPV era.
    The highest paid boxer might get paid more than the highest paid baseball player...might. Mike Tyson is said to have made $300 million in his career. Alex Rodriguez, to use one example, had a ten year $252 million contract. This, of course, didn't include all the endorsements (worth many millions more) and all the perks, a couple of which I mentioned in my previous post. But, unlike boxing, baseball has many more athletes making tens of millions of dollars per year; and even a scrub earning the league minimum is making in excess of $400k per year.

If we compare Cuban boxers to Cuban baseball players, it's an absolute joke. Guys like Gamboa, Lara and Rigo arrived in the US years ago and have been working on their careers practically from the moment they arrived. Jose Abreu of the Chicago White Sox signed a six year $68 million dollar contract even before landing on US shores less than a year ago. And he was considered a bargain! The way Abreu is performing, teams will be fighting to sign him for over $150 million when his current contract expires.

Making it big in boxing is many more times unlikely than hitting the powerball jackpot. Guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao are literally one-in-several-billion. More fans ought to appreciate the significance of that.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      The highest paid boxer might get paid more than the highest paid baseball player...might. Mike Tyson is said to have made $300 million in his career. Alex Rodriguez, to use one example, had a ten year $252 million contract. This, of course, didn't include all the endorsements (worth many millions more) and all the perks, a couple of which I mentioned in my previous post. But, unlike boxing, baseball has many more athletes making tens of millions of dollars per year; and even a scrub earning the league minimum is making in excess of $400k per year.

If we compare Cuban boxers to Cuban baseball players, it's an absolute joke. Guys like Gamboa, Lara and Rigo arrived in the US years ago and have been working on their careers practically from the moment they arrived. Jose Abreu of the Chicago White Sox signed a six year $68 million dollar contract even before landing on US shores less than a year ago. And he was considered a bargain! The way Abreu is performing, teams will be fighting to sign him for over $150 million when his current contract expires.

Making it big in boxing is many more times unlikely than hitting the powerball jackpot. Guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao are literally one-in-several-billion. More fans ought to appreciate the significance of that.
      This is even a bigger reason of why we need to regulate boxing better. Have someone from the outside step in and not let the sport regulate itself.

I sent you a PM btw about tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        This is even a bigger reason of why we need to regulate boxing better. Have someone from the outside step in and not let the sport regulate itself.

I sent you a PM btw about tonight.
        Got it. Responded.

Yeah, bro. A pension system with healthcare benefits would be the biggest thing. I know it's not likely to happen, boxers would have to unionize, but it would be the best thing that ever happened to this sport.

As I mentioned before, baseball players get a full pension after ten years. It's on the order of $180k per year. It's not like they need it, either. A benchwarmer that makes it that many seasons will have earned in excess of four million dollars. If you haven't provided for your future with that, you deserve what you get, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Working...
        X