Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters Who Get Called ATG's, But In Your Opinion Aren't.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters Who Get Called ATG's, But In Your Opinion Aren't.

Who are fighters that get called All Time Greats, but in your opinion actuualy arent and shound't be called a ATG?

You can list as many as you want, but you also have to give reason why you have them in your list.

Harry Wills... he gets lots of pros on this forum but IMO i think he is being vastly over-rated, Jack Dempsey could not fight him due to the color bar but i cannot accept that if they had fought Wills would have won... Jack Sharkey knocked Wills from pillar-to-Post and defeated him quit easily..Wills was obviously a very good fighter but some on here have him ATG Top 3 which i find bazaar...a couple of others to add:

Joe Calzaghe
    Diego Coralles
    Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
      Who are fighters that get called All Time Greats, but in your opinion actuualy arent and shound't be called a ATG?

You can list as many as you want, but you also have to give reason why you have them in your list.
      The Klitschkos come to mind. Vitali has the potential to crack the list and should probably be considered a "near" great but without any A class or even B class opponents to test his abilities against how can we really know how good he is? Wlad lacks the chin and stamina to be even a near-great. He piles up dominating wins against the journeymen that pass for contenders these days that he also has a big reach advantage over, but that really isn't a test that tells us anything about him. Three in-prime KO losses to journeyman fighters count heavily against him as well.

I've also seen Cotto, Margarito, Abraham, and Paul Williams referred to as ATGs from time to time which seems to me to be really lowering the bar.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        The Klitschkos come to mind. Vitali has the potential to crack the list and should probably be considered a "near" great but without any A class or even B class opponents to test his abilities against how can we really know how good he is? Wlad lacks the chin and stamina to be even a near-great. He piles up dominating wins against the journeymen that pass for contenders these days that he also has a big reach advantage over, but that really isn't a test that tells us anything about him. Three in-prime KO losses to journeyman fighters count heavily against him as well.

I've also seen Cotto, Margarito, Abraham, and Paul Williams referred to as ATGs from time to time which seems to me to be really lowering the bar.

Poet
        Agreed. None as of now are ATG fighters. Here's a interesting one Poet, do you belive Aaron Pryor is a ATG?

Comment

Agreed. None as of now are ATG fighters. Here's a interesting one Poet, do you belive Aaron Pryor is a ATG?
          He's a borderline case. Not much of a track record against good opposition, and I would have a hard time making a case for him based on two wins against a past-prime Arguello who was fighting well over his optimum weight class. It's just a tough call without quality wins on his record.

Poet

Comment

Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.

Comment

The IBHOF has Aaron Pryor listed as The Greatest 140lb fighter in Boxing History

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet
                I don't know man. Vitali can probably be on that list. He's fought the best in the division, and it is not his fault that the opposition hasn't been what it was years ago. I think that Vitali could have beaten a lot of the past heavyweights or given them hell at the very least. He definitely has what it takes to make the list. At least in my opinion.

Comment

I always have trouble with Tony Zale, fought in probably as strong a MW era as there has been and fought very few.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    I always have trouble with Tony Zale, fought in probably as strong a MW era as there has been and fought very few.
                    Pretty interesting one there...........

Comment

Working...
                    X