No announcement yet.

GGG vs Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Keep lying. Now Hagler had footwork like Pacquiao? Dude moved like a HW, and GGG KO's heavies in sparring. Hagler feasted on midgets for all of his MW career until he finally fought a tall past prime WW coming from 3 years vacation and who only had 1 fight in 5 years in SRL and Hagler lost, got it worked via shoeshining punches. GGG beats down Marvin Hagler by late round TKO and there's nothing you can do about it.
    he only watched the sugar ray fight...you can tell...lol

Comment

• Hagler breaks him down and pulls out a UD or possibly a TKO it very late rounds.

Comment

• I'd venture to say most folks in here haven't seen Hagler fight. Maybe some highlights or a quick glance of boxrec.

I rate GGG highly (he's clearly exceptional) but I don't see how he beats Hagler. I'm not going to use the "He did this with this guy" crap, but he's clearly a better all-around fighter. If you actually can watch Boxing objectively you can see that he was a masterful boxer first and foremost. He was great at creating holes in a guys defense with subtle movements and yes, good footwork. He was excellent at darting in and out and breaking a guy down. He would do so with a piston like jab and a mix of body shots. He knew distance and timing like very few. On top off that he had an all-time great chin, an iron will and power in both hands. Those are hard things to overcome.

In this matchup I'd say GGG is the bigger puncher, but it cancels out as I'm sure Hagler could take GGG's best shots flush so he'd take them in a Boxing match where he is fighting smart.

Footwork both are good and GGG cuts the ring down but he wouldn't want to be cutting down on Hagler the whole fight because Marvin was a superb counter puncher and threw in bunches. GGG would have to take backwards steps. Lets assume GGG can take Hagler's best (a reasonable assumption as he has a good chin) and that he has an iron will. Lets assume neither guy goes down (neither ever has, Roldon wasn't a legit KD) and lets assume GGG is like a duck to water stepping up to this level (not a given, but lets assume), he just doesn't have the speed, variety of punches, defense etc; that Hagler had. We know this so that's why the safest bet is to assume Hagler wins more rounds. It would be a great fight, but for every round GGG wins Hagler would win two.

Comment

Working...
        X