Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ward beats Kovalev convincingly, is that a better win than RJJr's best LHW win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    Ward and Kov aren't exactly spring chicken they are 32, 33 respectively...I doubt either guy is at their best physically but they are near prime like Hill was.
    I'd have to disagree there. Kovalev and Ward both look to be on the backside of prime (meaning, they are still prime, but perhaps for only a short time longer).
    Bigger guys tend to age differently in boxing. Many HW's hit their stride well into their 30's. LHW's aren't far form that.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      I'd have to disagree there. Kovalev and Ward both look to be on the backside of prime (meaning, they are still prime, but perhaps for only a short time longer).
      Bigger guys tend to age differently in boxing. Many HW's hit their stride well into their 30's. LHW's aren't far form that.
      I understand where you are coming from though

Yea @ 175 n higher guys do reach their prime later n it ends later

Comment

easily....

Comment

Tarver vs blindfolded Kovalev is a 50/50 fight

Comment

I'm gonna get smoked for this, but IMO it's not even close. Along with Rigondeux, Kovalev is the most overrated fighter on this board. He's been getting a pass for his resume because he's an easy guy to like on this board, no matter where your loyalties lie.

He's eastern euro KO machine, thus appeals to the Golovkin/Pacquaio crowd, and he hasn't been a threat (and always been respectful) to Ward, so those guys like him too.

Kovalev's best win is a 50 year old Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins is amazing, and a one of a kind human being. But the man was FIFTY years old. That is not an impressive win in my book. Everybody else he beat besides Hopkins had known weaknesses. Vast majority had losses to inferior fighters.

And while Kovalev does kinda pass the eye test, he's not the greatest boxer in the world. He lacks an amateur pedigree. The vast majority of his punches are basic one-twos. The reason Chilemba had so much success against him was because he forced Kovalev to reset often, which screws up Kov's rhythm. Kov is intelligent, sets up good traps and judges distance well. But there are definite holes in his game.

Because of those reasons, I personally don't think that Kovalev is very proven. A victory over Ward, would obviously push him over the edge for me. But he ends up being completely outboxed and drops a 120-108 decision, it will confirm my suspicions.

Again, don't crucify me. That's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
              Tarver vs blindfolded Kovalev is a 50/50 fight
              Lol'd

Comment

If he wins convincingly, I think a lot of peoples heads are going to explode.

Comment

Working...
                X