No announcement yet.

Can we at least agree, Cotto is lucky its not 2003

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
    Mayorga beating Vernon not once but TWICE is pretty much the most inexplicable thing I've ever witnessed in Boxing. Vernon was near the top of the P4P list along with Jones and Barrera and then some crude brawler bangs on him TWICE?

I think he just had his number, had that style that perfectly countered Forest. Mayorga beating Forest doesn't mean he would beat Cotto in his prime. I think the difference in skill level was pretty apparent and the only negative you can say about Miguel's performance is that maybe he wasn't aggressive enough, but aside from a few right hooks and an uppercut or two and some entertaining moments, Ricardo was beaten soundly and had the life/fighting spirit whacked out of him by a classic Cotto left hook.

At no point in their respective careers does Mayorga beat Cotto.
    Agreed. Could not have said it better myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar View Post
      Can we at least agree, Cotto is lucky its not 2003. I mean he struggled with a completely shot 38 year old Mayorga, Mayorga was solid tonight but not 60% of what he was in his prime. 30 year old Mayorga completely bombs on tonights 30 year old Cotto... Right? Poll to come.
      He won 9 of 11 scored rounds and KOed him with a blazing left hook. thats not a struggle. Yes there were moments where it was a fight, but to say he struggled is a disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
        Mayorga beating Vernon not once but TWICE is pretty much the most inexplicable thing I've ever witnessed in Boxing. Vernon was near the top of the P4P list along with Jones and Barrera and then some crude brawler bangs on him TWICE?

I think he just had his number, had that style that perfectly countered Forest. Mayorga beating Forest doesn't mean he would beat Cotto in his prime. I think the difference in skill level was pretty apparent and the only negative you can say about Miguel's performance is that maybe he wasn't aggressive enough, but aside from a few right hooks and an uppercut or two and some entertaining moments, Ricardo was beaten soundly and had the life/fighting spirit whacked out of him by a classic Cotto left hook.

At no point in their respective careers does Mayorga beat Cotto.
        you must have missed the part where Mayorga was almost 40, way past prime and looked like utter **** in his previous fight. and yet still gave Cotto a pretty hard night and landed through his guard with his punches(which arent as powerful as 7+years ago)...enough to mark up his face significantly.

fact is that Mayorga's uppercuts and clubbing shots would penetrate Cotto's particular guard pretty badly.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
          you must have missed the part where Mayorga was almost 40, way past prime and looked like utter **** in his previous fight. and yet still gave Cotto a pretty hard night and landed through his guard with his punches(which arent as powerful as 7+years ago)...enough to mark up his face significantly.

fact is that Mayorga's uppercuts and clubbing shots would penetrate Cotto's particular guard pretty badly.
          hardly did he hit Cotto clean. Cotto's face marks up pretty easily and most of the marks were from his own gloves when he deflected punches.

This was a much more lively and prepared Mayo than we've seen in previous fights. and again, it wasnt a struggle. people get carried away. this is the same mayorga that was behind 86-85 against Mosley 2 years ago, before he was KOed.

Comment

Compared to his other fights, Cotto took no real damage especially for a guy who's a known 'bleeder'. Mayorga did nothing besides his usual crazy man antics and putting on a show for the people, then getting KTFO routine that suggests he brings/brought anything to the table that would beat Miguel. And I thought Cotto was shot to pieces, so both guys are past their prime right?

But Cotto outclassed him, outboxed him, and hit him so hard he faked an injury and called for the ref to save him from a brutal KO?

Yeah, I guess he would've beat way back when

Comment

Honestly, I don't see Mayorga beating Cotto at any point. Cotto has a better chin than people make it out to be. People talk about Cotto's chin like he's been laid clean out for minutes on end. He's been wobbled and he's been hurt. It's boxing.

Mayorga always had wide shots that you could see coming. Cotto's best weapon is his ability to time shots and rip to the body. He'd always be able to do this with Mayorga, all day long. He'd be even less beat up mentally and he'd be in far better shape and would have less wear and tear physically. Mayorga had a style for Forrest, virtually no one else.

Cotto wins a prime Vs. prime fight, in about 10 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Omonist View Post
                Another hate thread!
                Yep, it's funny when they try and Larry Merchant the hate thru the radar with BS reasoning.

Cotto outclasses ANY version of Mayorga. I don't think Forrest was unbeatable for starters. So to act like "Oh but he beat Forrest!!!!"

Comment

Look up all of your posts, you are always illogically critical of Cotto. Why? I don't quite know just yet, but I am bettin your a hater.

Comment

Fact is Mayorga was NEVER an elite. He is known for having Vernon's number. It happens, but to pretend he beats Cotto in 2003 is just silly.

Every time he tried to fight the big fights, he got stomped out. All that macho sht and "hit me more" did nothing for him. He is fun to watch but let's not pretend he is truly on the level.

Comment

Working...
                    X