No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes's jab or Ali's jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Holmes's jab or Ali's jab?

I was just watching the Larry Holmes vs Ken Norton fight, and although I don't like admitting it, it seems to me that Larry Holmes jab is faster than Muhammad Ali's jab. Is there anyone else that thinks this or am I just crazy?

I think it was slightly slower but more powerful.

Comment

Holmes had a different type of jab than Ali. Ali used his jab to blind opponents for the follow-up punches, or just through it as a fast, slashing type of jab....once again, to blind the opponent to help him "disappear" so to speak. It was as much a part of his offense as his defense; but wasn't a powerful punch, per-say.

Holmes, on the other hand, used his jab more as an offensive weapon, which was a damaging punch in and of itself. He didn't necessarily rely on it to set anything up, though he could use it in that regard. Holmes's jab was a powerful jab with a lot of pop to it, used for busting up his opponents and knocking them off balance.

Holmes's jab was more akin to Liston's. It wasn't exactly used in the same regard as Sonny's was most definetly an offensive weapon in and of itself as well as a set-up punch; but Larry's jab was more akin to Sonny's that it was to Muhammad's, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
        Holmes had a different type of jab than Ali. Ali used his jab to blind opponents for the follow-up punches, or just through it as a fast, slashing type of jab....once again, to blind the opponent to help him "disappear" so to speak. It was as much a part of his offense as his defense; but wasn't a powerful punch, per-say.

Holmes, on the other hand, used his jab more as an offensive weapon, which was a damaging punch in and of itself. He didn't necessarily rely on it to set anything up, though he could use it in that regard. Holmes's jab was a powerful jab with a lot of pop to it, used for busting up his opponents and knocking them off balance.

Holmes's jab was more akin to Liston's. It wasn't exactly used in the same regard as Sonny's was most definetly an offensive weapon in and of itself as well as a set-up punch; but Larry's jab was more akin to Sonny's that it was to Muhammad's, IMO.
        So you think Ali's jab was faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Boiled HK
          So you think Ali's jab was faster?
          Sorry....yes. Ali's jab was faster; but Larry's carries more pop.

Comment

Sorry....yes. Ali's jab was faster; but Larry's carries more pop.

larry's jab was beautiful to watch, unless, that is, it was coming towards u

Comment

Great post. I agree.

Comment

to me larrys jab seemed to hurt people more than his cross this probably comes from being a left hander in an orthodox stance

Comment

Originally posted by hemichromis
                  to me larrys jab seemed to hurt people more than his cross this probably comes from being a left hander in an orthodox stance
                  where did you find this out , it has been a theory of mine

Comment

alis was faster but less powerful.

Comment

Working...
                    X