Collapse
No announcement yet.

marciano vs liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marciano had a 67" reach. Liston had an 86" reach, unusually long arms for his height.

But Rocky beat a lot of other big men - almost everyone he ever fought had a height and reach advantage.

Rocky wins by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
      I'm not sure how Liston would deal with Marciano in his face all night taking his shots, even though he was down against Walcott, he wasn't really hurt. Marciano was also pretty good at getting past opponents' jabs and get inside, Liston wasn't exactly a fast guy on his feet either, mentally, I'm not sure if Liston could handle it. I think if Liston wins, it's a TKO on cuts.
      He was hurt when he went down against Moore though. And Liston hit much harder than either one. Also, prime Liston took bombs from Cleveland Williams. I doubt Rocky hit harder than Williams. Liston also once fought 10 rounds with a broken jaw. That took some mental toughness.. Prime Liston was not the same as the old Liston.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tunney;4097225]Marciano had a 67" reach. Liston had an 86" reach, unusually long arms for his height.

But Rocky beat a lot of other big men - almost everyone he ever fought had a height and reach advantage.

Like who? Walcott, Moore and Charles were not anywhere near as big as Liston. And we are talking skilled big men.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          I think a prime Liston tears Marciano up with his jab and long reach. Liston by mid round TKO.
          I think so to, Marciano never really fought anyone amazing, Liston did. If Liston can kill Patterson in one round, i'm sure another 185 lb Marciano should't be hard.

I say KO in 4

Comment

im goin with teh rock ...just 2 touch for him ..listons skill wont be enough ..even with the size advantage i still see rock breakin em down back then woulda been 15 so rocky tko13

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              He was hurt when he went down against Moore though. And Liston hit much harder than either one. Also, prime Liston took bombs from Cleveland Williams. I doubt Rocky hit harder than Williams. Liston also once fought 10 rounds with a broken jaw. That took some mental toughness.. Prime Liston was not the same as the old Liston.
              He was past his prime against Moore and Moore was a big, big hitter he has the most knockouts of anyone is history, Marciano did come back and batter Moore. I'm not sure if he hit harder than Williams, both of them hit very hard. Williams also didn't have the chin that Marciano possessed, all I know for sure is that it would be a great fight.

Comment

It's certainly seems like a bad match-up for the Rock.To my mind, he needed the fast footwork to manoeuvre around Liston's jab and get to him OR the reach to make Liston pay when he missed with one of his punches. There is a reason why Joe Frazier's handlers never considered even a washed up Liston as an opponent from him.At best you can say 50-50 for Marciano in Marciano and Liston's respective primes.One thing though,I thought Marciano could do as better than any other World Champion other than Joe Louis-that is rotate a man's skull with either hand;he would always be in with a chance.

A clip of Sonny.You can see how much he slowed down,when he was past his prime at 3.11 .

One small piece of trivia... Johansson,James Braddock and Marciano all had Patterson to win the first Liston fight.Apparently Patterson's fast hands would be too much for the lumbering oaf.

Comment

hmmm lets see. Marciano is VERY overrated and Liston was a true hw great. Prime Liston would destroy Marciano, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
                    hmmm lets see. Marciano is VERY overrated and Liston was a true hw great. Prime Liston would destroy Marciano, no doubt.
                    How is Liston an all time great, yet Marciano is overrated? I think at their best Liston would beat Rocky. But you've made it sound as if Listons career was so much better.

Liston cleaned out his division. So did Marciano. Both held the championship in reletively weak era's. One held it longer though and retired undefeated. So what in your estimation makes Liston an all time great, but not Marciano?

Comment

Liston is too heavy a puncher for Rocky, not to mention about what, 30 lbs heavier or something? Smaller guys put the Rock down, Liston would dust him in a couple rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X