Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has better rappers East coast or West coast?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East for me but it's subjective. I will say that New York hip hop really has not had a real identity for the past 10 years or so. Biggest rappers in NY are biting southern artists (A$AP Rocky, French Montana, etc.) and Fetty Wap from New Jersey sounds like a goat with down syndrome.

Comment

The greatest emcees of all time have typically been from the East Coast

Rakim
      KRS One
      Kool G Rap
      Big L
      Jay Z
      Nas
      Biggie
      Big Daddy Kane
      Black Thought
      Jadakiss
      Method Man
      Redman
      DMX
      Raekwon
      Pharoahe Monch
      Prodigy
      AZ
      Treach
      Talib Kweli
      Q Tip
      Big Pun
      GZA
      Mos Def
      Slick Rick
      Chuck D
      LL Cool J
      Ghostface Killah
      DMX (people forget the dude dropped 2 amazing albums in the late 90's)

Even Pac was originally from New York and Baltimore before he moved to Cali as a teenager.

The only top tier ATG's from other areas to me would be Andre from Outkast. He may not be Top 10 or anything, but he's way underrated. The only top tier ATG's that aren't from the East Coast are Ice Cube, Common, and Eminem. Midwest and West Coast obviously.

I don't rate Kanye as an ATG emcee, not even close.

As far as current guys who could become ATG's....Kendrick obviously comes to mind. He's got 1 classic to me in GKMC, 1 real good album in Section .80, and 1 solid but way overrated album in To Pimp a Butterfly.....just my opinion.

I like J Cole a lot, but he needs that SIGNATURE ALBUM. He doesn't have his masterpiece yet. Joey Bada$$ is dope and has potential. Logic as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyKnuckles View Post
        East for me but it's subjective. I will say that New York hip hop really has not had a real identity for the past 10 years or so. Biggest rappers in NY are biting southern artists (A$AP Rocky, French Montana, etc.) and Fetty Wap from New Jersey sounds like a goat with down syndrome.
        Nas isn't as active anymore, but his last two albums were dope. Untitled was solid, and Life is Good was real good. Jay been fell off, he really hasn't had a solid album from a rapping stand point since American Gangster. Blueprint 3 was a mixed bag. Magna Carta and Watch the Throne were wack as ****.

French Montana is garbage, I wouldn't even say people **** with him. Fetty Wap is admittedly somehow popular, but he's trash. ASAP Rocky is garbage, but again he's popular sort of I guess

The best east coast guys right now going strong are Joey Bada$$, Logic (if you consider Maryland and the Baltimore/DC areas East Coast), Ghostface Killah has been dropping quality still. Action Bronson is alright. I don't like him as much as Joey or Logic as far as the young guys, but I don't hate him.

Comment

I remember when Ether came out. Wooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Nas isn't as active anymore, but his last two albums were dope. Untitled was solid, and Life is Good was real good. Jay been fell off, he really hasn't had a solid album from a rapping stand point since American Gangster. Blueprint 3 was a mixed bag. Magna Carta and Watch the Throne were wack as ****.

French Montana is garbage, I wouldn't even say people **** with him. Fetty Wap is admittedly somehow popular, but he's trash. ASAP Rocky is garbage, but again he's popular sort of I guess

The best east coast guys right now going strong are Joey Bada$$, Logic (if you consider Maryland and the Baltimore/DC areas East Coast), Ghostface Killah has been dropping quality still. Action Bronson is alright. I don't like him as much as Joey or Logic as far as the young guys, but I don't hate him.

Logic comes off corny to me for some reason but he's decent. Joey is good but B4.DA.$$ was a let down for me. Capital Steez was better than Joey imo. I like Bronson more as a food network personality than as a emcee, and that slick **** he said about Ghost after he bit his whole style turned me off of him completely. Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers are ok for the underground NY scene but nobody really stands out.

Some of the old heads from NY are still making quality music tho like Jada, Ghostface and Cannibal Ox.

Comment

Best rappers are from Queens

Nas (GOAT)
              Mobb Deep
              LL Cool J

Comment

Historically East Coast has the better rappers, but the West coast artist are more progressive.

Looking at all my favorite artist majority of them are West Coast: Blu, Madlib, K Dot, Ab Soul, Anderson .Paak, and Jay Rock.

Today's East Coast new breed are lost in a shuffle and (or) having an identity crisis. Many of them want to adapt this Down South style which in my opinion doesn't work for them.

But all is forgiven since the Eastcoast help shape MF DOOM, who's good enough to carry the whole coast for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyKnuckles View Post
                  Logic comes off corny to me for some reason but he's decent. Joey is good but B4.DA.$$ was a let down for me. Capital Steez was better than Joey imo. I like Bronson more as a food network personality than as a emcee, and that slick **** he said about Ghost after he bit his whole style turned me off of him completely. Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers are ok for the underground NY scene but nobody really stands out.

Some of the old heads from NY are still making quality music tho like Jada, Ghostface and Cannibal Ox.
                  I know that they sound the same but in no way does Bronson rap like Face. The man can't help what vocal cords he was born with.

Comment

Aint not difference no more. Everybody sound the same. Fetty Wap is from Jersey ffs. Fetty Wap couldn't hold Redman notepad

Comment

Thanks guys!

And **** jose and sweetpea. I hope you burn in hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X