Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which No. 1 P4P from the last 2 decades fought the worst competition?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

floyd, obviously..........not even debatable........

Comment

Originally posted by The Impaler View Post
      Oscar De La Hoya
      Are you sick Trinidad,Mosley twice,Quartey in there prime alone are strong, not to mention Pernell Whitaker just to name a few

Comment

Roy Jones.

Comment

B-Hop. Name one guy he fought who hadn't moved up from 147 or 154...

...having a little trouble there? Then allow me to save you the trouble:

Oscar De La Hoya
          Felix Trinidad
          Winky Wright
          Joe Calzaghe
          Kelly Pavlik
          Jermain Taylor

Even though he lost some of these fights, they were all against smaller guys.

And Roy Jones wasn't any better...He missed out on Tua, Lewis, Rahman, Byrd and pretty much every other top HW. John Ruiz and Toney were good, but Toney also cherrypicked at HW and Ruiz was just good. Not great.
          Last edited by BoxerDood; 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

lets be realistic - the very relative question that should be asked is: how good of opposition did they face relative to what was available?

anyone who picked oscar is a complete moron. the dude wasn't longtime p4p material, but mosley 2x, pacquiao, bernard, trindidad, mayorga, vargas, mayweather, whitaker, chavez.... dude how ****ing stupid can you get? imagine if he would have won all of those............

anyway - lets look at roy for a second. by all means roy had a great career but his resume compared to his ability left some to be desired. but this wasnt roys fault. tbh he didnt have much outside of the people he faced or tried to face.

on the contrary - lets look at mayweather. while mayweather had some damn nice people on his resume, once he hit welterweight he never stepped in with a prime elite welterweight - and this is in a very active welterweight time. mosley, margarito, cotto, clottey, surely several more that i cant think of. whats mayweathers best welterweight win? judah? baldomir? mayweather has built a nice legacy for himself, but there is much much much to be desired. thank god for him finally stepping in with mosley, someone who has a legit shot at beating him. should be a good fight.

cool poll though, lots of interesting discussion - how ever some real morons made their way out for this one. i think all of those fighters have had very great careers. its simply hard to say that mayweathers choice of fights were harder than anyone on that list.

i will hold my judgement on chavez and whitaker though - their careers were ending just as i started watching the sport.

Comment

Floyd, but if they were #1 P4P they must have beaten somebody to get there...am I right?

I don't think Bernard was considered P4P#1 very long...and Floyd came along...

And why the hell are JCC and Pernell on the list? They were washed up by the end of the 90's...

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
                B-Hop. Name one guy he fought who hadn't moved up from 147 or 154...

...having a little trouble there? Then allow me to save you the trouble:

Oscar De La Hoya
                Felix Trinidad
                Winky Wright
                Joe Calzaghe
                Kelly Pavlik
                Jermain Taylor

Even though he lost some of these fights, they were all against smaller guys.

And Roy Jones wasn't any better...He missed out on Tua, Lewis, Rahman, Byrd and pretty much every other top HW. John Ruiz and Toney were good, but Toney also cherrypicked at HW and Ruiz was just good. Not great.
                jones wasnt cut out for heavyweight. ruiz was there for the taking, why not take it? jones doesnt get credit for that IMO. he gets credit for cleaning out 168 and having a great run at LHW. tua and lewis would have seriously hurt roy. idk about byrd - prime byrd could have won, might have been interesting to see the result. would have probably turned into a big slickfest.

i do agree about ruiz not being great, he was good at one time, had a belt... i do not like him at all though, a bit over rated IMO. i love watching him get tua'd on youtube over and over.

toney should have never moved to heavyweight....

Comment

Anyone saying Floyd fought better opposition then Roy got to be a mental midget. Come on

Comment

Originally posted by kenso View Post
                    jones wasnt cut out for heavyweight. ruiz was there for the taking, why not take it? jones doesnt get credit for that IMO. he gets credit for cleaning out 168 and having a great run at LHW. tua and lewis would have seriously hurt roy. idk about byrd - prime byrd could have won, might have been interesting to see the result. would have probably turned into a big slickfest.

i do agree about ruiz not being great, he was good at one time, had a belt... i do not like him at all though, a bit over rated IMO. i love watching him get tua'd on youtube over and over.

toney should have never moved to heavyweight....
                    I don't know...Chris Byrd proved that it is possible to outbox Tua, but I do agree that Lewis would likely have destroyed him. The Tua fight would have been a matter of whether he could break through Roy's skill and land those deadly flush punches.

Oh, and I'm watching Ruiz getting Tua'd right now. I tend to switch back and forth between that and the Amir Khan suspect chin video. LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X