Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prescription MDMA (Ecstasy) on the way?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription MDMA (Ecstasy) on the way?

Vancouver kicks off final phase of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy trials mdma

Geordon Omand, The Canadian Press
    Published Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:21AM EST

Ed Thompson remembers the helplessness he felt each of the thousands of times his twin daughters would turn blue and go lifeless in his arms.

The young girls suffered from acute breath-holding spells, an involuntary condition that causes children to pass out, in their case up to 40 times a day.

"Having your kids die in your arms 7,500 times kind of sucks," he said.

The girls' conditions eventually improved, but the experience compounded earlier trauma Thompson had witnessed as a firefighter in South Carolina, sending him into a spiral of post-traumatic stress, substance abuse and thoughts of suicide.

That all changed in 2015 after Thompson enrolled in an experimental psychotherapy trial that used clinical-grade MDMA, also known as the party drug ecstasy, to treat patients suffering from severe cases of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Thompson said the experience saved his life and kept his family together.

Now, researchers across North America, including British Columbia, are gearing up for the third and final stage of trials ahead of plans to legalize psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy in Canada and the United States by 2021.

Vancouver is one of 16 locations in the United States, Canada and Israel where clinicians hope to demonstrate that a drug historically associated with gurus and raves can revolutionize psychotherapy and trauma treatment.

The B.C. Centre on Substance Use will conduct the Vancouver trials as part of a larger research project overseen by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, or MAPS, a non-profit pharmaceutical company based in California. Talks are also underway for a Montreal facility to participate.

"We hope to prove that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy is the most effective treatment for PTSD that exists on the planet," said Mark Haden, a public health professor at the University of British Columbia. Haden founded the Canadian wing of MAPS and helped organize stage two of the organization's research trials in Vancouver.

Traditional PTSD treatment focuses on desensitization, which is painful and can last years, or even a lifetime, Haden said, adding that only about 10 to 15 per cent of people successfully recover and the drop-out rate is high.

MDMA-assisted psychotherapy, however, lasts fewer than four months and preliminary studies show two thirds of participants remained free of PTSD one year after treatment, he said.

The experimental trials have been so successful, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which overseas the approval and regulation of pharmaceutical drugs, has labelled it a "breakthrough therapy" for PTSD treatment.

Researchers believe the psychedelic drug's effectiveness is partly due to its ability to dispel a participant's fear and to boost what Haden called the therapeutic alliance.

read more here

That's sad.... Give the man what he needs to keep his children alive..

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
      That's sad.... Give the man what he needs to keep his children alive..
      I have a feeling a lot of people will be signing up for this one in the future. Expect this RX to reach top 10 status in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
        I have a feeling a lot of people will be signing up for this one in the future. Expect this RX to reach top 10 status in no time.
        Correct me if I'm wrong.... But wasn't X prescribed somewhere in Europe? I kinda remember buying some...

Molly...

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong.... But wasn't X prescribed somewhere in Europe? I kinda remember buying some...

Molly...
          It wouldn't surprise me. It's been around a long time.
          It wasn't banned in the US until 1985.

http://www.narconon.ca/drug-informat...y-history.html

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
            It wouldn't surprise me. It's been around a long time.
            It wasn't banned in the US until 1985.

http://www.narconon.ca/drug-informat...y-history.html
            I knew this German chemist who was a master chef... He's still out there doing his chemistry...

Possession of the chemicals needed to manufacture MDMA will cost a guy decades of time.. Possessing a pill press will cost a dime if a person gets popped... That's probably why Molly comes in capsules ... evolution- adapting to avoid having a pill press.. conformance

Great link.. He's a CAL grad too

The man responsible for the modern research of MDMA is Alexander Shulgin, who after graduating from the University of California at Berkeley with a PhD in Biochemistry landed a job as a research chemist with Dow Chemicals. Among his many achievements for Dow Chemicals was one profitable insecticide and several controversial patents for what were to become popular street drugs. Dow was happy with the insecticide but Shulgin’s other projects created a parting of the way between the biochemist and the chemical company. Alexander Shulgin is also the first reported human to use MDMA.
            Last edited by Zaroku; 01-22-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X