No announcement yet.

Overeem scared of Dos Santos

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Overeem scared of Dos Santos

UFC president Dana White confirmed Thursday he recently offered Overeem two options for a fight against Dos Santos, both of which he turned down.

The offers included a five-round main event fight in Brazil and a three-round co-main event in Las Vegas. Overeem (37-13), who defeated Frank Mir earlier this month at UFC 169, has cited a rib injury as to why he's currently not accepting.

"I bet you his rib wouldn't be hurt if we got Brock Lesnar," said White, referring to Overeem's recent callout of Lesnar, who is retired. "I bet you his rib would be fine, then.

"I offered him Dos Santos two different ways. He said, 'Yeah, I don't want five rounds in Brazil.' OK. No problem. Co-main in Vegas, three rounds? 'My rib hurts.' You guys come to whatever conclusion you want on that. I know what the truth is.

"I have a feeling this rib injury is going to last as long as it takes until Dos Santos has another opponent. That's what I'm willing to bet," White said. "This is going to be the longest rib injury ever. As soon as we get Dos Santos a fight, that rib will heal right up."

People are ****ting all over Dana for this but when a duck this damn blatant happens, the fighter in question deserves to get outed in public for it.

Comment

Wow Dana, great way to sell your product. Throw your fighters under the bus. Genius!

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
        People are ****ting all over Dana for this but when a duck this damn blatant happens, the fighter in question deserves to get outed in public for it.
        I agree. Fighters who duck deserve to be outed. This isn't boxing.... UFC fighters don't get to choose their own fights.
        Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
        Wow Dana, great way to sell your product. Throw your fighters under the bus. Genius!
        lol you can't be serious. Overeem threw himself under the bus.

Comment

Dana has no choice but to oust his fighters with the way the UFC is designed. He signed these fighters, he promotes, and makes fights.

If the fighters don't comply with his demands(fights he offers), Dana loses out on that revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
            I agree. Fighters who duck deserve to be outed. This isn't boxing.... UFC fighters don't get to choose their own fights.
            lol you can't be serious. Overeem threw himself under the bus.
            #1, I don't even like Overeem, so I'm not sticking up for him because I like him.

#2, that's bad match making. Why would you throw one of your bigger names out to dry to get KO'd, when he just got KTFO twice in such a short period of time?

#3, As a promoter it's not professional to bash one of your own fighters, because you want them to fight someone that he has no business fighting at the moment.

#4, it would be smarter for Overeem to fight someone like Josh Barnett or Miocic to build enough momentum and confidence for a JDS match.

I think we all know that JDS would wreck Overeem at this point. Why would you want to completely ruin one of your fighters that can make good matches with some of the other top 10 guys, before fighting a guy like JDS?

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              Dana has no choice but to oust his fighters with the way the UFC is designed.
              You can't be serious.

Dana could've just been pissed behind closed doors, and not thrown one of his fighters under the bus. We wouldn't even know about this unless Dana said this.

How does he have no choice in throwing Overeem under the bus?

And the wording of Dana is so foul. He acts like it's out of this world to not want to fight JDS after just getting KTFO twice.

Comment

#1, I don't even like Overeem, so I'm not sticking up for him because I like him.

#2, that's bad match making. Why would you throw one of your bigger names out to dry to get KO'd, when he just got KTFO twice in such a short period of time?

#3, As a promoter it's not professional to bash one of your own fighters, because you want them to fight someone that he has no business fighting at the moment.

#4, it would be smarter for Overeem to fight someone like Josh Barnett or Miocic to build enough momentum and confidence for a JDS match.

I think we all know that JDS would wreck Overeem at this point. Why would you want to completely ruin one of your fighters that can make good matches with some of the other top 10 guys, before fighting a guy like JDS?
                you just gave rules of a 'BOXING PROMOTER'.

Dana/UFC does not protect fighters. They build up young fighters but once they have reached a certain level, its no holds barred. They put them right in there with the toughest guys. Overeem like every other veteran will be matched up in the toughest fight possible. If they lose, they lose. UFC don't care cuz all the fighters are theirs.

JDS-Reem is an exciting fight on paper. That fight should be made. Can't imagine the UFC will let this slide.
                Last edited by -Swizzy-; 02-26-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
                  you just gave rules of a 'BOXING PROMOTER'.

Dana/UFC does not protect fighters. They build up young fighters but once they have reached a certain level, its no holds bar. They put them right in there with the toughest guys. Overeem like every other veteran will be matched up in the toughest fight possible. If they lose, they lose. UFC don't care cuz all the fighters are theirs.

Dos Santos is an exciting fight on paper. Should be made. Can't imagine the UFC will let this slide.
                  True, but I think in Overeem's case, it's stupid.

JDS will destroy him, and then what? Overeem's one of those names that can still add a bunch of buys for a PPV card. If you delude his image even more with the fans, no one's gonna even care anymore.

Comment

True, but I think in Overeem's case, it's stupid.

JDS will destroy him, and then what? Overeem's one of those names that can still add a bunch of buys for a PPV card. If you delude his image even more with the fans, no one's gonna even care anymore.
                    actually Overeem isn't that big of a name to casuals. Even though he beat Lesnar in a high profile fight, Reem has never become a real draw(probably cuz he lost his next 2 fights by KO).

UFC doesn't give a **** about reem at this point. When his contract is up, Reem is gone unless he's willing to take a significant pay cut.

Comment

Working...
                    X