Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2017, 03:54 AM #41
MDPopescu MDPopescu is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,351
Quoted: 3805 Post(s)
Rep Power: 69
MDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 9,399,999,999,999,999,949,668,352.00
Bank: 9,762,905,520,000,000,990,380,032.00
Total Points: 19,162,905,519,999,998,792,564,736.00
:beerchug: - -jose- Cheers - -Weltschmerz- Applebees - Mike D Kill 'em - PorterIsFuture Kill 'em - PorterIsFuture 
:beerchug: - -jose- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- happy holidays - Dean_Razorback Thanks! - Santa_ Thanks for the drink and I always buy a beer back ..respect - Steve plunger 
Good luck with your picks! - 1hourRun Cheers mate! - kafkod Great posts, sir - anthonydavid11 Keep up the good fight - -KULT- Cheers - Nomadic 
Cause pizza is great, I just had one - Mighty_Windir No Message - Dean_Razorback Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Cheers! - kafkod Cheers, bud - Pain~Lucy 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - MDPopescu Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Weltschmerz Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megas30 View Post
To be honest, i know very little about Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well. So, this is not really an argument i am trying to have because it is really a guessing game, worse when you look at how these things are dated. However, if the sumerian trig tablets found are 3700 years old, then that puts them in 1683 bc. The oldest pyramid is Djoser found in Saqqara, dated to about 2630 bc, this would make it 4,647 years old.
.

3000 bc would put them at 5017 years old. Additionally, archaeologist and historians are fumbling with the age of ancient Egypt. Their count starts from dynastic Egypt. Remember theory that the Sphinx pre-dates dynastic Egypt.

Here is a crazy theory:

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
... you say: ... "Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well."...

... tbh, I don't know what you mean by "academia"... each and every universal history book mentions the emergence of the "four river valley civilizations" of the antiquity...
MDPopescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:22 AM #42
ShoulderRoll ShoulderRoll is offline
No More UK Stoppages
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 29,144
Quoted: 8109 Post(s)
Rep Power: 91
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 467,103.25
Bank: 86,575,016,910,864,605,249,536.00
Total Points: 86,575,016,910,864,605,249,536.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megas30 View Post
To be honest, i know very little about Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well. So, this is not really an argument i am trying to have because it is really a guessing game, worse when you look at how these things are dated. However, if the sumerian trig tablets found are 3700 years old, then that puts them in 1683 bc. The oldest pyramid is Djoser found in Saqqara, dated to about 2630 bc, this would make it 4,647 years old.




.

3000 bc would put them at 5017 years old. Additionally, archaeologist and historians are fumbling with the age of ancient Egypt. Their count starts from dynastic Egypt. Remember theory that the Sphinx pre-dates dynastic Egypt.

Here is a crazy theory:

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
The Epic of Gilgamesh from Sumeria is regarded as the earliest surviving great work of literature.

There are parts of the story where a man is created from soil by a god and lives among the animals and gets seduced by a woman. There's another part where the gods send a great flood and a man is instructed to build a boat and fill it with all the animals of the field.

These seem to be an obvious influence on the stories of Adam, Eve, the Garden of Eden and Noah from the Bible which came later.
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:40 AM #43
Virgil Caine Virgil Caine is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,147
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Rep Power: 107
Virgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 60,231.35
Bank: 307,259,045,191,483,457,536.00
Total Points: 307,259,045,191,483,523,072.00
A gift from The Last Emperor LOL! - jakkups Happy birthday homey - mangler Cocktail hour - mangler Sip this wine - mangler more drank - MANGLER 
Thanks for the stream dude. - Naps Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day - Bossy one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Happy Holidays Nodogoshi - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* 
10 years... impressive :beerchug: - jose830 Congrats on 10 years. - deanrw To a well-read member - -Weltschmerz- No Message - Run Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- 
Merry Christmas!  :beerchug: - -jose- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. . . - El Malo. A worthy opponent - 1bad65 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - DiLLiNGER 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megas30 View Post
To be honest, i know very little about Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well. So, this is not really an argument i am trying to have because it is really a guessing game, worse when you look at how these things are dated. However, if the sumerian trig tablets found are 3700 years old, then that puts them in 1683 bc. The oldest pyramid is Djoser found in Saqqara, dated to about 2630 bc, this would make it 4,647 years old.




.

3000 bc would put them at 5017 years old. Additionally, archaeologist and historians are fumbling with the age of ancient Egypt. Their count starts from dynastic Egypt. Remember theory that the Sphinx pre-dates dynastic Egypt.

Here is a crazy theory:

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
You are right on the year thing, though.

The Sumerians are often dated to like 3500 BC, and they were in Babylon.

I pretty carelessly extrapolated that this was talking about 3700 BC.

But actually the Sumerians weren't around 3700 years ago. Would've been a successor peoples. Like the Akkadians or something.
Virgil Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:24 PM #44
megas30 megas30 is online now
Greatness!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,879
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Rep Power: 22
megas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 56,999,100,324,859.10
Bank: 202,444,497,540,991.09
Total Points: 259,443,597,865,850.19
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil Thanks for the link - hectari good post! - -jose- No Message - -jose- f*ck racism, cheers! - ,GGG 
That is a good find The Manipulated Mang - hectari 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPopescu View Post
... you say: ... "Sumerians, and the literature on them is absent from academia as well."...

... tbh, I don't know what you mean by "academia"... each and every universal history book mentions the emergence of the "four river valley civilizations" of the antiquity...
There is not a lot on them. Egypt has been studied repeatedly to the point where they have their own discipline (Egyptology). People aren't even sure what they (Sumerians) look like, because they describe themselves as the "blackheads". You would think if they were truly the first civilization, people would study them more than Egypt.
megas30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:41 PM #45
Virgil Caine Virgil Caine is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,147
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Rep Power: 107
Virgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond reputeVirgil Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 60,231.35
Bank: 307,259,045,191,483,457,536.00
Total Points: 307,259,045,191,483,523,072.00
A gift from The Last Emperor LOL! - jakkups Happy birthday homey - mangler Cocktail hour - mangler Sip this wine - mangler more drank - MANGLER 
Thanks for the stream dude. - Naps Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day - Bossy one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Happy Holidays Nodogoshi - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* 
10 years... impressive :beerchug: - jose830 Congrats on 10 years. - deanrw To a well-read member - -Weltschmerz- No Message - Run Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- 
Merry Christmas!  :beerchug: - -jose- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. . . - El Malo. A worthy opponent - 1bad65 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - DiLLiNGER 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megas30 View Post
There is not a lot on them. Egypt has been studied repeatedly to the point where they have their own discipline (Egyptology). People aren't even sure what they (Sumerians) look like, because they describe themselves as the "blackheads". You would think if they were truly the first civilization, people would study them more than Egypt.
It has a lot to do with the available information for people to study.

Egyptology was borne of Napolean's conquest of Egypt, and later carried on by the British after they took over Egypt.

Egypt has giant pyramids to gawk at, with hieroglyphics. Sumeria has earthen ziggurats, and clay tablets burried in the ground.

What's more, Mesopotamia has been home to waves and waves of civilizations. Egypt was a unified kingdom on the head of the Nile for eons.
Virgil Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:19 PM #46
MDPopescu MDPopescu is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,351
Quoted: 3805 Post(s)
Rep Power: 69
MDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond reputeMDPopescu has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 9,399,999,999,999,999,949,668,352.00
Bank: 9,762,905,520,000,000,990,380,032.00
Total Points: 19,162,905,519,999,998,792,564,736.00
:beerchug: - -jose- Cheers - -Weltschmerz- Applebees - Mike D Kill 'em - PorterIsFuture Kill 'em - PorterIsFuture 
:beerchug: - -jose- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- happy holidays - Dean_Razorback Thanks! - Santa_ Thanks for the drink and I always buy a beer back ..respect - Steve plunger 
Good luck with your picks! - 1hourRun Cheers mate! - kafkod Great posts, sir - anthonydavid11 Keep up the good fight - -KULT- Cheers - Nomadic 
Cause pizza is great, I just had one - Mighty_Windir No Message - Dean_Razorback Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Cheers! - kafkod Cheers, bud - Pain~Lucy 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - MDPopescu Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Weltschmerz Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megas30 View Post
There is not a lot on them. Egypt has been studied repeatedly to the point where they have their own discipline (Egyptology). People aren't even sure what they (Sumerians) look like, because they describe themselves as the "blackheads". You would think if they were truly the first civilization, people would study them more than Egypt.
... the fact that people study much, much more the Greek civilization doesn't make it the "earliest civilization"...

... the Egyptian civilization was huge, of course, but the issue here simply is that the first mention of trigonometric formalism was discovered on those tablets dating back to Babylonian empire era...
MDPopescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:48 AM #47
megas30 megas30 is online now
Greatness!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,879
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Rep Power: 22
megas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond reputemegas30 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 56,999,100,324,859.10
Bank: 202,444,497,540,991.09
Total Points: 259,443,597,865,850.19
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil Thanks for the link - hectari good post! - -jose- No Message - -jose- f*ck racism, cheers! - ,GGG 
That is a good find The Manipulated Mang - hectari 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPopescu View Post
... the fact that people study much, much more the Greek civilization doesn't make it the "earliest civilization"...
Oh please, studying Greek civilization is studying Egyptian civilization. Greek is not more researched, but rather "learned" because most of their work is preserved.


Quote:
... the Egyptian civilization was huge, of course, but the issue here simply is that the first mention of trigonometric formalism was discovered on those tablets dating back to Babylonian empire era...
This is a different argument. We are talking about its usage. I would assume its usage is due to them holding the knowledge. Forgive them for their knowledge not being found on a 5000 years old tablet.

However, the pyramids are found to be built with the golden ratio (1:1.618), and these pyramids are older than the Sumerian tablets found. The pyramids are the Egyptian's written tablets or like you called them "first mention of trigonometric formalism (sic)". Not every genius theorize, some actually practicalize.
megas30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

Tags
existed, trigonometry, years

User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.