Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cooking tricks during this time of concern

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My diet consists of lot of fruits, veggies and seafood from farmer’s market. I dont eat red meat. It’s disgusting.

Im about healthy eating and smoking lots of weed. It’s all about balance.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
      My diet consists of lot of fruits, veggies and seafood from farmer’s market. I dont eat red meat. It’s disgusting.

You eat pork?

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
        You eat pork?
        No pork. I dont like the taste of meat.

I might do chicken and wagyu once in a blue moon but that’s about it.

Rice, fish, veggies, pasta, and fruits i eat regularly.

Comment

Butrerrrrrrrr

If you come within 20 feet of my cat it's over. I'm taking you out dude.

I know how you are.

Comment

No pork. I dont like the taste of meat.

I might do chicken and wagyu once in a blue moon but that’s about it.

Rice, fish, veggies, pasta, and fruits i eat regularly.
            Seafood is pricey though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
              Egg fu yung is definitely something I need to learn how to make
              There are many ways to do it. A relatively simple way is to take some fat (oil, butter, whatever) and cook down a fine dice of carrot, celery and onion (Mirapoux). really let it cook and carmelize... add a teaspoon of sugar and a dash of salt, then add some water and soy sauce. You can add any kind of stock you may have handy as well. Let this cook a while and take some cornstarch, about half a teaspoon dissolve in a little liquid, fire sauce up and thicken with the corn starch.

You can make this "gravy" as elaborate as you want. Many people add mushrooms, or chopped ham, its all good.

For the pieces of egg fu yung, take about four eggs or so for one to two people, again add what you like, there is no problem adding the same stuff as in the gravy. Mix the eggs and fixings up with a bit of water, sugar and soy sauce.

The thing is you will need a bit of oil to fry the pieces, they have to be pretty much covered. A wok works great for this, as you can really do them one at a time because they only take a minute, or so. You want to spoon them in gently so they stay together and as they pop up, just take them off and drain them. When they are all done... you can tell when done because they will look a bit brown on the edges, everything is solid in the piece/portion (no liquid) and the smell... it will smell like something cooked in the fryer... Put them on a plate and top with gravy.

This is a fun dish, its a bit fattening and elaborate...You can poach the eggs in water and if you do so, add a touch of vinegar to the cooking water so the egg pieces stay together. But it taste so much better when done the old fashion way!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                Seriously consider getting a pressure cooker. I bought one three years ago. It's a stovetop cooker not electric. The electric cookers can also be used as a slow cooker. The advantage of a pressure cooker is it retains most of the vitamins in the food vs a slow cooker. I made a pot of Chili last night. Once the cooker came to pressure it took 20 minutes to cook the chilli. You can cook a whole three pound chicken in 17 minutes. Stews are come out amazing in a pressure cooker. One reason I went with the stovetop is it sears and browns meat quicker than an electric. If you are making a stew for example you can cook the meat first then stop the pressure cooker by carefully running water over the top. Do not immerse it in water!!!
                You the add the vegetables and cook for a short time untill they are tender. I guess you could do that in an electric but it would take longer to lose pressure and longer to heat back up. Anyway if you like to cook you should get a pressure cooker.
                Pressure cookers are great. You can cook things in a fraction of the time. Just be careful and understand that any environment under pressure is potentially explosive. You have to not mess with the steam release on the cooker, and yes, you can put the whole thing under running water...don't worry the water will not go into the cooker where your food is. You will hear a loud sound as the cooker cools down and this is normal. You will see the pressure guage go down as well as it goes "SHHHHHLuuup!"

I use one I got years ago in a thrift store, a really nice big one. Some people also look for cookers that are not made out of aluminum... the steel cookers are more expensive. They are a great shortcut.

Comment

Smoking LOTS of WEED because it is about balance?
                  Better to alternate that weed with some Meth and Heroin and stuff, balance it out! Lol just kidding.

ONE thing to be aware of Finitox. And this is very important. Fish, especially the bigger game fish like Tuna and Salmon have mercury content. They have more of it because the things they eat have the mercury and it accumulates in the large fish's fat cells and muscle cells. Years ago in Marin county they did a breast cancer study and found all these otherwise healthy women who had very high mercury levels in their blood from eating the best fish that money could buy.

Crabs, shrimp and other shellfish are not very high in mercury, and many of them are locally sourced. You prolly want to not eat tuna and salmon more than a few times a week or so.

If it was not for that I would also eat nothing but fish. When I am out here alone in the Bay Area like I am, I only cook meat when friends are coming over, I don't eat much of it myself, just an occasional burger or so.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                    Seafood is pricey though.
                    It is reasonably prices in the Asian markets and some of the Spanish markets as well. I buy Louisiana gulf shrimp, a good size with the heads still on (very important) for about 6 bucks a pound which is amazing. And there are many large fish that can be had for a decent price.

Comment

- -I follow the KISS philosophy as much as is practical.

Keep It Simple Stupid!

Finally the zombie hordes invading my grocer like swarms of locusts disappeared so I could resume normal shopping.

Several lbs of ground chuck marked down 25%, a frozen pizza, and couple of six packs sufficed for my grill fired with stock from my pecan and oak trees gave me meat enough for 3 weeks of my easy to fix pasta dishes and a grilled pizza.

When on the road doing construction, peanut butter with good preserves and bread with my am coffee heavenly and sufficed for a quick lunch.

Evening was a can of Ranch Style fortified with cheddar and picante wrapped in flour tortillas better than any fast food, naturally washed down with a six pack of Mickys.

No cooking needed on the road, just a quick drive by at the grocer.

Comment

Working...
                      X