Comments Thread For: Canelo Alvarez is an Excellent Fighter... But Not The Best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
    I don’t see many people claiming Canelo is ‘the best’

Even at middleweight, there’s not a lot separating Golovkin and Canelo, though obviously Canelo has achieved more outside of 160

The debate is firmly between Lomachenko and Crawford, if I’m not mistaken?
    Boxrec has Crawford at #2 and Canelo at #1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
      I will always have issues with the bold. We, as fans, are not supposed to further along a mistake. We all agree a guy will look like a HOFer if they fight bums.

Beating up bums should not be rewarded by us fans. The p4p list is supposed to be special. Nothing special about abusing no hopers.

Resumes, TO US FANS, should be the end all.

the difference between a beater-of-bums, and an elite fighter who has not face elite opposition..... should be obvious

that is why I said it takes knowledge and understanding

not for the casuals

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
        Most recent opponents 1st -

Pac -
        Broner
        Lucas
        Horn
        Vargas
        Timmy part 3
        May
        Algieri
        Timmy 2

Nelo -
        DJ
        Rocky
        GGG 2
        GGG 1
        JCC jr
        Liam
        Con
        Cotto

Nelo should be p4p and there shouldn't be a debate about it.

FACT: Pacquiao has a FAR better resume than Canelo
        FACT: Golovkin has a very poor resume

so you " resume " guys need to add Pac at #1, and remove Golovkin

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
          If you fight no hopers of course it should count against you whether or not the no hopers were at one point in their career a much better fighter. Let's take Floyd and Pac for example.
          Floyd has Marquez on his resume. Floyd came in over weight against a much smaller fighter. Do you really think that's significant?
          Pac beat Oscar, weight drained and past prime. I know this is going to end up being about Golovkin so let's get that out of the way now. If you think he fought no hopers that's your choice. However don't add guys to another man's list just because at one time in the past they were good fighters. Personally I don't care where some of the fighters I like or have liked were on a P4P list.

LMAOOOOOO

you mean, this Marquez..... ?

and this Pacquiao..... ?

..... that Marquez is pretty good dude LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by stealthradon View Post
            Jacobs, Murray, Macklin, Stevens.

not exactly a murderers row..... is it ?

should the fan of a fighter with a shlt resume, really be criticizing a fighter with a much better resume?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Gitano View Post
              How does that matter? Point is, Canelo learned from Floyd, yet he's being condemned for it while Floyd was applauded and deemed the smartest man in boxing.
              Who applauded floyd for it, not genuine boxing fans, thats for sure, maybe floyd nuthuggers, thats about it

Comment

• Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
                Canelo All day errrday!
                Youve just confirmed youre a fangirl by that answer

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  LMAOOOOOO

you mean, this Marquez..... ?

and this Pacquiao..... ?

..... that Marquez is pretty good dude LMAO
                  When fighting a guy his size. Marquez came up in weight to that class for the first time and Floyd came in over the contracted limit. Nobody expected Marquez to win even before Mayweather came in heavy. It was a mismatch. It wasa similar situation to Garcia coming up to fight Spence. Put Marquez in with someone his own size and it's different. By the way Marquez was roided up for the Pacquiao fight IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                    Yes, although folks idea of what constitutes a 'no-hoper' or whatever is also a matter of some subjectivity of course. However I believe I've successfully demonstrated that resume alone is - in the absence of any context - insufficient to compare fighters. In short your premise (that resume is the only factor to consider) is flawed. Had you not chosen to accompany your assertion with ridicule for those who disagree with you I wouldn't have even bothered replying to your post but that ish just rubs me the wrong way.
                    No hopers are also easily identifiable, if a fight fan is honest enough to accept Vegas' odds. They don't give long odds just because and they don't have accountants picking names out of a hat.

Do you not believe there are ridiculous mismatches in boxing ?!?!? Yes, on the very rare occasion, an upset will happen so no need to bring up Buster vs Tyson.

The resume has everything an unbiased fan needs to know (the who -including that guys resume and his pertinent physical stats-, where, when and what, if anything, was at stake). It's all there.

''Wow, this Mr 25-0;25 kos absolutely destroyed Mr 5-17-3;2 kos. He's like the next big thing.''

1 fight later....

''WOW, Mr 25-0;25 kos got destroyed vs a 30-2;27 kos guy. How was this possible ?!?!? Let me check who Mr 25-0;25 kos was beating up prior to his loss. Ok, It makes sense now.''

When making a p4p list, a guys last 7 or so opponents should be the benchmark. Not how well a guy beats up a no hoper. If ''things'' are equal, then all that eye candy can be the tiebreaker.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                      the difference between a beater-of-bums, and an elite fighter who has not face elite opposition..... should be obvious

that is why I said it takes knowledge and understanding

not for the casuals
                      How do you recognize an elite fighter, though ?!?!?!

Comment

Working...
                      X