Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35 year old Golovkin, past his best and 27 year old, peak Canelo both evenly matched?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can tell by the way he moves, he's lost a step, not much, but he is starting to plod around the ring now and he's lost a bit of snap on his punches there a bit slower....when canelo fought he was the better fighter imo I just don't think he did enough each round only fought for 30 or so seconds.... his stamina really lets him down, if he works on that I think he easily wins rematch by legitimate decision.... I can actually see him earning a 10-2 scorecard

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      Who said better? You can't really compare Golovkin to other fighters like Tyson. They were fighting world class opposition from a young age and taking punishment. Golovkin hasn't, he was fighting in headgear.

His drop in dominance has coincided with his increase in competition. Happens to all fighters when they step up. Unfortunately Golovkin is only just doing it in his mid thirties. Making it impossible to tell if it's age or competition.
      Who said better?
      About what?

You can't really compare Golovkin to other fighters like Tyson.
      That's a special pleading logical fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading

They were fighting world class opposition from a young age and taking punishment.
      So has Golovkin.

Golovkin hasn't, he was fighting in headgear.
      Yes, he has. In the amateurs, you don't get to pick and choose your opponents like in the pro. So you're forced to compete against the very best.

Furthermore, a boxer can have up to well over 20 amateur bouts every year. That is SIGNIFICANTLY more than the amount of fights a professional has.

Head gear is irrelevant because head gear does practically nothing to help against the trauma and impact of getting punched. It only helps minimize visible damage such as cuts and bruises. So an amateur that has had over 300 fights can suffer from just as much mental trauma as a professional boxer.

His drop in dominance has coincided with his increase in competition.
      Which I don't disagree with. However, he is still good enough to not get ABSOLUTELY dominated by the supposed, one of the most skilled boxer P4P in the world that is Canelo Alvarez at age 35, being 8 years older whilst canelo Alvarez is aged 27 and 8 years younger.

If Golovkin was as bad as some of you claim, then not only should his dominance drop, but he himself should be ABSOLUTELY dominated and beaten by a SIGNIFICANT margin, especially at age 35 by someone in their prime like Canelo Alvarez who is consistently considered this 'super' skilled boxer in comparison to Golovkin. So why didn't that happen?

Making it impossible to tell if it's age or competition.
      It's possible to tell that historically, every athlete have declined by age 35 compared to their abilities they had at age 25. Not just in boxing, but tennis, sprinting, long distance running and etc. If you're going to deny this or make it seem like Golovkin is somehow immune to aging, then you're exposing your bias and agendas against Golovkin.

Are you seriously trying to argue that a 35 year old boxer who is a pressure fighter is going to at their prime? Every other pressure fighter had declined before that age. Name me ONE pressure fighter who hadn't declined by age 35.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
        About what?

That's a special pleading logical fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading

So has Golovkin.

Yes, he has. In the amateurs, you don't get to pick and choose your opponents like in the pro. So you're forced to compete against the very best.

Furthermore, a boxer can have up to well over 20 amateur bouts every year. That is SIGNIFICANTLY more than the amount of fights a professional has.

Head gear is irrelevant because head gear does practically nothing to help against the trauma and impact of getting punched. It only helps minimize visible damage such as cuts and bruises. So an amateur that has had over 300 fights can suffer from just as much mental trauma as a professional boxer.

Which I don't disagree with. However, he is still good enough to not get ABSOLUTELY dominated by the supposed, one of the most skilled boxer P4P in the world that is Canelo Alvarez at age 35, being 8 years older whilst canelo Alvarez is aged 27 and 8 years younger.

If Golovkin was as bad as some of you claim, then not only should his dominance drop, but he himself should be ABSOLUTELY dominated and beaten by a SIGNIFICANT margin, especially at age 35 by someone in their prime like Canelo Alvarez who is consistently considered this 'super' skilled boxer in comparison to Golovkin. So why didn't that happen?

It's possible to tell that historically, every athlete have declined by age 35 compared to their abilities they had at age 25. Not just in boxing, but tennis, sprinting, long distance running and etc. If you're going to deny this or make it seem like Golovkin is somehow immune to aging, then you're exposing your bias and agendas against Golovkin.

Are you seriously trying to argue that a 35 year old boxer who is a pressure fighter is going to at their prime? Every other pressure fighter had declined before that age. Name me ONE pressure fighter who hadn't declined by age 35.
        Name one pressure fighter that waited until they were 35 to fight a challenge?

Go watch the Ouma fight and try and tell me that Golovkin was better than the current Golovkin.

Comment

Go watch the Ouma fight and try and tell me that Golovkin was better than the current Golovkin.

ame one pressure fighter that waited until they were 35 to fight a challenge?
          In what way did he 'wait' until that age to fight a challenge? The last time I checked, he was the number one middleweight in the world, the main midddleweight champion and there is not a single instance where Golovkin DUCKED any opponent at 160 pounds. So how did he 'wait' for any challenge? It's more accurate to claim that his rival or challenging opponents waited until Golovkin was 35 to fight him. Why didn't Canelo Alvarez fight Golovkin earlier instead of this year? Why didn't any of those 'challenging' opponents fight him at 160 pounds then when he was younger. You'd have a point if Golovkin genuinely ducked such a 'challenging' opponent after they offered to fight him during his younger years but he didn't and those opponents didn't.

That was ONE fight, in which he was physically sick. One fight is an extremely small sample to come to any conclusion. It's another logical fallacy by the name of 'Hasty generalization':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization

Comment

Name me a fighter who fought every fight of his career with a huge weight advantage, was handed decisions in every close fight he was in, and is essentially the same fighter he was since 2013.

What happened when he ran into a guy who was his size and wasn't shook by his punches?

Comment

Canelo fought like the older fighter, trying to win rounds in short bursts and masking the fact that he wasn't doing much

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
                In what way did he 'wait' until that age to fight a challenge? The last time I checked, he was the number one middleweight in the world, the main midddleweight champion and there is not a single instance where Golovkin DUCKED any opponent at 160 pounds. So how did he 'wait' for any challenge? It's more accurate to claim that his rival or challenging opponents waited until Golovkin was 35 to fight him. Why didn't Canelo Alvarez fight Golovkin earlier instead of this year? Why didn't any of those 'challenging' opponents fight him at 160 pounds then when he was younger. You'd have a point if Golovkin genuinely ducked such a 'challenging' opponent after they offered to fight him during his younger years but he didn't and those opponents didn't.

That was ONE fight, in which he was physically sick. One fight is an extremely small sample to come to any conclusion. It's another logical fallacy by the name of 'Hasty generalization':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization
                So now he was physically sick? Look at any of those early fights. He wasn't as good as he is now. Physical prime and boxing prime aren't necessarily the same thing. He's improved with age. The last 4 years has been "prime" Golovkin.

Comment

It's because he's a top quality fighter.
                  Guys who were predicting GGG would get KO'ed have spent the last few days celebrating Canelo scraping a draw.

Oscar wasn't lying when he said Canelo wasn't ready after the Cotto fight. He's improved with every fight and it made it a more competitive fight.

Comment

So now he was physically sick? Look at any of those early fights. He wasn't as good as he is now. Physical prime and boxing prime aren't necessarily the same thing. He's improved with age. The last 4 years has been "prime" Golovkin.
                    So now he was physically sick?
                    Yes, he was. Or is it impossible for an athlete to be sick or be below physical peak conditions sometimes according to you?

Look at any of those early fights.
                    I have!

He wasn't as good as he is now.
                    Sure he is. Unless you're going to imply that reflexes, mental sharpness, intensity levels and overall physical conditions of ANY athlete from ANY 'athletic' sport is going to be the EXACT same at 35 as it was in their early 20's.

Physical prime and boxing prime aren't necessarily the same thing.
                    I understand this. However, his boxing prime is something he already reached after having over 300 plus amateur fights and a few professional fights. He did anything but improve much, if at all in terms of pure boxing abilities after the age of 30. So at best, you might argue that his 'boxing abilities' are at peak level and the same as it was during his early 20's. However, you'd be extremely hard pressed to argue that Golovkin at age 35 is at his physical peak.

When Golovkin was at his ABSOLUTE peak (peak level in physical condition and boxing abilities), that was during his late 20's and his early 30's. However, now he isn't at his ABSOLUTE peak even if you argue that his pure boxing abilities are still at peak level. So the Golovkin that fought Canelo Alvarez was still 'past his best'. My point stands!

Comment

35 is usually past your best, but not enough to really make a big deal of considering GGG's style. How would he be any better if he were 25? He's never been particularly fast, just powerful and stalking. Canelo clearly had the better technical prowess, and Golovkin only really started to get ahead when Canelo started tiring.

Comment

Working...
                      X