History Section Questionnaire.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been a while but I'll 'ave a go

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Just an idea I had, basically answer the following questions and we will see how we go from there.

Favourite Boxers: Marvin Hagler, Joe Frazier, Carmen Basilio, Ken Buchanan and Joe Louis. Les Darcy - Carmen Basilio - Battling Nelson - Tony Zale - Mickey Walker.... or Marciano depends on me mood

How did you begin to like boxing: After a soccer game I was the only one in my team trying as we were getting owned 6-1. I'd always respected boxing as a sport from an early age and after this incident wanted to try a solo sport. 2 years later I'm still at it. I got into it when Jeff Fenech won his first title against Satoshi Shingaki although I was pretty big on Ali as a kid, but what really got me into it was a couple of books especially one on Les Darcy,, his story was the clincher,,, and the other reason was watching old films of Dempsey, marciano, Basilio Zale and graziano III especially,,,, yep film and books,, I eat em up

What made you become a hardcore fan: I think it was how personal the sport was, with all it's little stories, each fighter having their own individual character and a connection with fighters you don't get with other sports. All this made we want to find out more and more. already covered above

Have you boxed before?/done anything boxing related: I'm an amateur boxer. Never trained as a boxer, had to use bare fists a hell of a lot as a youngster but just in defence,,, my record there was ordinary,, successful sometimes,, busted up and bleeding too often for my liking,,, not a good enough record for a local street title thats for sure.. LOL

How big is boxing in your area: Sadly in Scotland it's not very big, hence why I joined a forum. Apart from maybe 5 casual fan friends I have there's no-one else to really talk to about it. Ditto

What style is your favourite/how do you box if you do: My favourite style to box as is classic boxer puncher/counter puncher. Much like Marvin Hagler, Ezzard Charles, Ray Leonard etc. My favourite style to watch is skilled brawlers/inside fighters. People like Frazier, Basilio etc. I like some of both actually, I can enjoy Willie Pep any bit as much as a brawler,,,, I particularly prefer a Darcy style of fighter ... RARE,, a fighter with a chin to make me stare in wonder at,, a great infighter,, has plenty of boxing skill but who is exciting and perpetual motion,, and most of all,, massive KO power in both hands,,,,,, I mentioned Pep as well,, but only one man could do what he did, and his name is Willie Pep,,, a complete original like Darcy,,, they broke the mould when they designed those two.... Special mention For Bat Nelson and that type of fighter,, if you dont admire that type,,, you aint a real fight fan

Who is the GOAT in your opinion: I have Sugar Ray Robinson at top spot at the moment. With Greb and Langoford closing in and Charles and Armstrong tailing them. Ahh The impossible Boxing question,,,,,,, the GOAT's name is Sugar Darcy Rocky Muhammad Langford Benny Leonard Pep,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Jr. Thats one long name aint it

What is your favourite division. I like Welterweight/Middleweight the best. Perfect blend of speed and power. Also a fan of Featherweight and Lightweight. Lightweight because it has the most great fighters of any,,, WW because Carmen Basilio was there,, and MW because Les Darcy and I,,, McGOORTY were there,,, (among many many others of course

What's your favourite fights: Hagler vs Hearns, Ali vs Frazier 1, Gomez vs Pintor. Hagler vs Antufermo 1, Leonard Duran, Duran vs DeJesus II, Leonard vs Benitez. Darcy Vs the lot,,, especially the 2nd McGoorty fight,,,,, Moore Vs Durelle.... Basilio Vs Robinson I & II.... Basilio vs Tony DeMarco II,,, the 3rd Graziano V Zale fight,,, but more than any fight, I gotta say its hands down the 40 round bloodbath between Nelson and Wolgast

Why did you choose boxingscene: I googled boxing forum. First I tried had basically no members. Went to ESB and hated the dark colour. Then tried here and got to know a few members. Stayed since. I was looking for opinion on Darcy,, and was gonna leave because it took me a day or two to see him on a list, I realized that 99& here knew absolutely nothing about him,, zilch,, and as Id read about all the other greats and notables before I found the Darcy book I knew Id have a lot to offer due to a very good memory

If anyone can think of any other questions just put them down and I'll add them to the main post.
    as I said above

Comment

Just an idea I had, basically answer the following questions and we will see how we go from there.

Favourite Boxers: Marvin Hagler, Joe Frazier, Carmen Basilio, Ken Buchanan and Joe Louis.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]taylor, marquez, hagler, frazier, hopkins, saad muhammad, morales, duran, monzon, leonard, hearns, holmes, [micky] ward, and too many others to mention. it's out of my hands at this point, but jermain taylor is my favorite fighter. his run from prospect to champion, and then the devastating pavlik loss had a profound effect on me as a young man.[/COLOR]

How did you begin to like boxing: After a soccer game I was the only one in my team trying as we were getting owned 6-1. I'd always respected boxing as a sport from an early age and after this incident wanted to try a solo sport. 2 years later I'm still at it.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]members of my family boxed in the army and then professionally after wwII. nothing big time, just prize fighting. when i was young i could not put books about boxing down[/COLOR]

What made you become a hardcore fan: I think it was how personal the sport was, with all it's little stories, each fighter having their own individual character and a connection with fighters you don't get with other sports. All this made we want to find out more and more.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"] the internet. i can get to any fight and whatever literature i want with a few clicks. i had an unbelievable collection of fights on two old PC's in the late 90's that were destroyed when my house got hit by lightning.[/COLOR]

Have you boxed before?/done anything boxing related: I'm an amateur boxer.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]yes, i grew up with some very basic equipment in my basement. heavybag, speedbag, high enough cieling to skip rope when i was young. i went to a gym in high school. in college, i went to an MMA gym because there werent any boxing gym's around. boxing was probably my 5th sport, behind hockey, lacrosse, skiing, and kayaking (lol!)[/COLOR]

How big is boxing in your area: Sadly in Scotland it's not very big, hence why I joined a forum. Apart from maybe 5 casual fan friends I have there's no-one else to really talk to about it.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]membership in the new england boxing scene is serious work. i have to drive three hours both ways if i want to get to a good fight at foxwoods or mohegan. that being said, i get to some pretty good scraps every year, and once in a while i get to see a great fight.[/COLOR]

What style is your favourite/how do you box if you do: My favourite style to box as is classic boxer puncher/counter puncher. Much like Marvin Hagler, Ezzard Charles, Ray Leonard etc. My favourite style to watch is skilled brawlers/inside fighters. People like Frazier, Basilio etc.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]Puncher.
      if i went back to a gym i'd work on my craft much more, but when you're a young, athletic, hard punching kid with who can take a good shot, wheres the fun in boxing ?if i ever trained a fighter he wouldnt fight anything like i used to.
      the style i most appreciate is the consumate boxer with a hammer in his hand. if you cant bang and you've worked around it to become a great boxer i wont hold that against you either. i also love work rate (and not just punching, either. show me your damn moves!.) conditioning is boxing.
      [/COLOR]

Who is the GOAT in your opinion: I have Sugar Ray Robinson at top spot at the moment. With Greb and Langoford closing in and Charles and Armstrong tailing them.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]Robinson. in my opinion he's the most complete boxer of alltime. no real flaws. and dont get me started on that resume![/COLOR]

What is your favourite division. I like Welterweight/Middleweight the best. Perfect blend of speed and power. Also a fan of Featherweight and Lightweight.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]I honestly can enjoy any fight in any division. if you had to twist my arm i enjoy the comination of speed and power and pace you see between 147 and 160[/COLOR]

What's your favourite fights: Hagler vs Hearns, Ali vs Frazier 1, Gomez vs Pintor. Hagler vs Antufermo 1, Leonard Duran, Duran vs DeJesus II, Leonard vs Benitez.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]i like action fights. i think the exchange of damage highlights the competitive nature of the sport. but i do love to see a complete boxing performance.

off the top of my head i'll mostly go with action fights. frazier - ali 1 and 3. duran vs barkley. marquez vs diaz and marquez vs katsidis. duune vs cordoba. saad muhammad vs lopez 2, morales vs pacquiao 1, leonard vs hearns 1. there are just too many to count.
      [/COLOR]

Why did you choose boxingscene: I googled boxing forum. First I tried had basically no members. Went to ESB and hated the dark colour. Then tried here and got to know a few members. Stayed since.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]i lurked a few forums for a while and enjoyed this one the most. recently i've started making some real friends here, which i never expected.[/COLOR]

If anyone can think of any other questions just put them down and I'll add them to the main post.

i got a good question to add, burner,
      will/would you let your kids box?

I can honestly say that, outside of building a family of which i can be proud, that managing my son from pro debut to world champion would make me happier than anything else.

he hasn't been born yet, of course.
      hell, i havnt even met his mother !
      Last edited by New England; 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

i got a good question to add, burner,
        will/would you let your kids box?

I can honestly say that, outside of building a family of which i can be proud, that managing my son from pro debut to world champion would make me happier than anything else.

he hasn't been born yet, of course.
        Good question!

My opinion in the matter is. I wouldn't persuade or push him towards doing it because I like it. However if he wanted to do it I would have absolutely no problems with it.

Comment

Favourite Boxers: Mike Tyson, Joe Louis, Miguel Cotto, Felix Trinidad, Joe Frazier, Nigel Benn (best leave it at that!)

How did you begin to like boxing: I just remember the respect people gave Mike Tyson when they talked about him, i was a fan before i even saw him fight! That and the Rocky Movies

What made you become a hardcore fan: I got some boxing books that i loved and couldnt get enough of the old fighters records and stories, the Tyson hype then followed when he was released from jail and i got to watch him live, i also used to Love watching Tito Trinidad and some others that made me realise there was more to boxing than Tyson.

Have you ever boxed before/done anything boxing related? Yeah ive boxed before, dont know if im gonna have more fights or not but i still train and spar regularly

How big is boxing in your area: Tiny! Plenty of casual fans but i dont think many people in my town would have a clue who a Tim Bradley is let alone any old fighters like i dunno a Joe Gans

What style is your favourite/how do you box if you do: I base my style on kind of a mix of Cotto and Marquez. I dont have a particular favourite style to watch really but i do love a puncher

Who is the GOAT in your opinion: Its a tough call but i cant get passed Ray Robinson

What is your favourite division. Id probably say WW, they tend to be

What's your favourite fights: A few different one's would be, Moore vs Macklin/Rhodes, Trinidad vs Mayorga, Cotto vs Mosley, Holyfield vs Qawi and McKinney vs Barrera

Why did you choose boxingscene: First boxing forum i could find i think, i tried a few others a while back but its defo boxing scene for me!

Would you let your kids box: Yeah i would, my boy is only 3 but he can dig a bit already! He hasnt the patience to learn anything yet though. Boxing teaches respect among other things and a lot of the principles in the ring are transferable into real life. I also want him to be able to take care of himself, there is an awful amount of *******s knocking around....
          Answers above

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

Dont be so sure! My girlfriend and son's mother was my first love, we broke up for about 10-11 years and got back together after a wild weekend chance encounter at T in The Park! lol

Comment

Working...
            X