Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tyson Fury the best heavyweight ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tyson Fury the best heavyweight ever?

This is why I don't get all the outrage at Stephen A. Smith, who is a casual observer of the sport, when you have followers of the sport writing **** like this.

I haven’t followed the heavyweights closely in recent years, as I find the welterweight and middleweight divisions generally more interesting. But watching Tyson Fury fight, and comparing him to Muhammad Ali, nearly all of whose fights I saw, as well as Mike Tyson and other more recent heavyweights, I find it hard to see how any of them could have beaten Fury.

I think a Tyson Fury who is in condition and clear headed, as he was last night, would have crushed Ali, Joe Frazier and even Larry Holmes. He is just as clever and almost as fast as Ali and Holmes, and punches harder with a far longer reach. I don’t see how shorter heavyweights, like Frazier and Mike Tyson, could have contended with the 6′ 9″ Fury. No doubt they would have tried to burrow in, but Fury’s impressive skills would, I think, have kept them at bay and punished them when they came in close. How do you think a 4′ 11″ boxer would have fared against Tyson? That is the same height advantage Fury would have over Iron Mike.

In short, I think Tyson Fury at his best could have beaten any modern heavyweight champion, and maybe any champion of the past, including Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano. A controversial view? No doubt. But Marciano was only 5′ 11″, 10 inches shorter than Fury. Louis at 6′ 2″ was seven inches shorter, while his 76″ reach was nine inches less than Fury’s. I think Fury’s skills are too formidable to overcome such disadvantages.

If you don’t agree, have at it in the comments.

One more thing: Fury can sing, too. After last night’s bout he sang an a cappella version of Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” to his wife:

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...ghter-ever.php
    Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 06-17-2019, 04:24 PM.

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    This is why I don't get all the outrage at Stephen A. Smith, who is a casual observer of the sport, when you have followers of the sport writing **** like this.
    It’s gone mental. I’m probably one of the biggest Fury fans on this forum. I’ve been to a lot of his fights including traveling abroad for Klitschko and Wilder.

But people are becoming delusional, he’s clearly the best HW in the world but the best ever, please...
    He’s had two great wins/performances against Wlad and Wilder and his comeback story is fantastic but compare that to Ali and it pales in comparison.

Comment

No. Next question.

/thread

Comment

Here we go with this BS every single time a top fighter puts on a spectacular display against some low level bum.

Stephen A says stupid shyt all the time. That's what he gets paid to do.

Comment

Hinderaker was answered by a dude on Twitter: "Stick to the political arena and leave the fighting to the fighters."

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post

Stephen A says stupid shyt all the time. That's what he gets paid to do.
            Fans of other sports know SAS schtick. He has to go over the top & say crazy things to offend them.

He just found out how sensitive boxing fans are. He has a whole new audience to run his schtick on now.

Comment

Ever is a tough call

Of the last 15 years then yes

Comment

No. Hes good by today's standards but no hes not the best ever.

Comment

As mentioned above, by today's standards he's great. But ATG? No way.

HWs today are too one dimensional. He might be the most complete of the lot, but that says more about the division than it says about him.

Comment

I think prime Lennox Lewis knocks him out

Comment

Working...
                    X