No announcement yet.

Workout for a weight trained boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout for a weight trained boxer?

How do you fit in, strength training, plyometrics, endless cardio, and lots of sparring without overtraining?

It seems a bit of a nightmare.

With weight training you are supposed to leave one day of rest between lifting sessions so your body can recover, but how can you do that if you run, spar, do plymetrics etc every day?

Can you write me a workout plan? Incorperating weight lifting NOT BODYBUILDING!

So the weight lifting is suposed to enhance me as a fighter not make my muscles look nice or big, I always hear the advice if you weightlift in boxing make sure you do leg work like squats and deadlifts or olympic cleans, but if you do that they need time to recover and how can they do that if you are running everyday?

Help!

that's true, it is tough. If you get good nutrition with lots of protein shakes and vitamins and creatine and all that good shyt then you will recover MUCH quicker. If you want good performance and not bodybuilding then do lower weight with higher reps, so do 15 rep sets and your muscular endurance will increase without releasing a lot of lactic acid which is what causes soreness.

In this way, your muscles will recover quicker (even between rounds in a fight). Drink a LOT OF WATER. Your muscles will pump up with glycogen which synthesizes into ATP (which is what powers muscles). This means you'll last longer, but it may be an issue if you're trying to make weight, so I'm not sure how that will work for you because you'll hold more water in your muscles.

Comment

Thanks Mr KO! Sound advice!

What about nervious system recovery? Because your nervious system is extremly important for strength and power, and when you hit it with heavy low rep squats, and things like plyometrics, it also needs time to recover and often more time than the muscles need, how can it recover if you are doing running, sparring, bag work, skipping, etc as a bare minimum on a "rest day" ??

Comment

eating a healthy, balanced diet is better than taking supplements. you can supplement it slightly with some vitamins or protein shakes but to take a whole bunch of stuff and think thats gonna solve your problem is ignorant. seems a bit too easy doesnt it? thats because it is. besides, a balanced diet beats supplements every day of the week.

what you need to do is make sure you eat right, sleep right and train smart in addition to training hard. lift weights no more than twice a week, in fact once a week would be even better. mix up your running, do some sprint work every now and then that isnt as tedious on your joints and keeps your body guessing. on some days dont run at all and go biking or swimming instead.

mix up your gym work too, always work hard in the gym but like i said before, work smart. listen to your body, if you feel worn out have a less physical workout and focus on skills instead. less pads, heavybag work, groundwork etc and more shadowboxing, double end bag and speed bag.

as for sparring dont be afraid to tell ppl your body isnt up for it and have some light sparring. maybe just using the jab or even just shadowboxing against someone.

dont be afraid of taking a day off either when your body needs it, this comes down to discipline and experience though. you need to know what to look for, theres gonna be plenty of days when your energy isnt at its peak, that doesnt always warrant a day off. you need to know when you really need it and never lie to yourself. again, it comes down to knowledge of self and discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
          eating a healthy, balanced diet is better than taking supplements. you can supplement it slightly with some vitamins or protein shakes but to take a whole bunch of stuff and think thats gonna solve your problem is ignorant. seems a bit too easy doesnt it? thats because it is. besides, a balanced diet beats supplements every day of the week.

what you need to do is make sure you eat right, sleep right and train smart in addition to training hard. lift weights no more than twice a week, in fact once a week would be even better. mix up your running, do some sprint work every now and then that isnt as tedious on your joints and keeps your body guessing. on some days dont run at all and go biking or swimming instead.

mix up your gym work too, always work hard in the gym but like i said before, work smart. listen to your body, if you feel worn out have a less physical workout and focus on skills instead. less pads, heavybag work, groundwork etc and more shadowboxing, double end bag and speed bag.

as for sparring dont be afraid to tell ppl your body isnt up for it and have some light sparring. maybe just using the jab or even just shadowboxing against someone.

dont be afraid of taking a day off either when your body needs it, this comes down to discipline and experience though. you need to know what to look for, theres gonna be plenty of days when your energy isnt at its peak, that doesnt always warrant a day off. you need to know when you really need it and never lie to yourself. again, it comes down to knowledge of self and discipline.
          Sounds like great advice man. I don't box but I definitely understand the muscle soreness aspect. I just switched up phases in 90x and I did back and biceps on Monday night. Last night I did a cardio routine where I run a warmup mile, do a 4 minute round of HIIT Tabatas, do another mile but I step up the speed 0.5 mph every every 0.1 miles. I start the mile at 5.0 mph and end at 10 mph. I alternated between the running and HIIT routine until I had run 4 miles (4 miles and 3 HIIT sets).

Anyways, tonight I was gonna do the P90x: chest, shoulders, and triceps routine but I was sore as crap and decided I would do more cardio tomorrow and the P90x routine Friday night. I was just surprised that I didn't flush out all the lactic acid from Monday's workout with the cardio from yesterday.

Comment

Working...
          X