Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Troubles starting again? Real IRA claims Co Down car bombing

Real IRA claims Co Down car bombing
    Monday, 12 April 2010 12:43

The Real IRA has claimed responsibility for the car bomb that exploded close to the British Army base at Holywood, Co Down, this morning.

In a phone call to the BBC, a spokesperson for the dissident republican group said it had carried out the attack.

The bomb exploded near the headquarters of MI5 in Northern Ireland shortly after policing and justice powers were transferred from London to Belfast.

PSNI sources said the bomb was taken to the barracks in a taxi, which was hijacked in north Belfast after the driver's family was held hostage.

A PSNI spokeswoman confirmed: 'A device has exploded in a vehicle at the rear of Palace Barracks in Holywood.'

'The explosion occurred at approximately 12.24am this morning.'

PSNI chief Superintendent Nigel Grimshaw said those responsible had shown no regard for human life and were nothing more than criminals.

Homes around the Palace Barracks, which houses the MI5 building, were evacuated.

Man injured

Policing Board member Basil McCrea of the Ulster Unionists said between 50 and 60 people living near the barracks were taken to the Redburn Community Centre in Holywood following the bomb warning.

Mr McCrea said: 'The warning was given and the attack alarms went off, but it is obviously a significant device.

'One person, an elderly man, was blown off his feet. I think he was just a member of the community who happened to be walking past. He has gone to hospital. I think it must have been a bit of a shock.'

The blast came as law and order policy was returned to Stormont at midnight, marking the end of 38 years of Whitehall control.

Ford to be appointed Justice Minister

The power-sharing administration is due to appoint David Ford of the Alliance Party as Northern Ireland's Justice Minister later today.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Ford said the threat of dissident republicans was ongoing and the new policing powers were important in fighting it.

Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson said the bombers would not disrupt the devolved government.

'We are not going back, we will continue to move forward.

'It is an attempt to intimidate Assembly members as they meet today to move forward on policing and justice.'

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said the dissident groups had no support and would not derail the political process.

He said: 'There are challenges and we have to rise to those challenges, but where people are trying to destroy the peace process, as these people are, of course, in my view, there is not even the remotest prospect of them succeeding. The peace process is rock solid.'

Speaking ahead of Mr Ford's expected appointment, Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams said it was a major step forward for the peace process.

He said: 'This is yet another important step forward in the ongoing process of change. The peace process is being challenged but the peace process is working.

'Sinn Féin is very pleased with today's progress and we are determined to keep moving forward.'

The Taoiseach has described this morning's attack as a futile act and said all the resources available on the island will be used to deal with such activity.

Brian Cowen said that having a Minister for Justice in Northern helped with efforts to establish a community police force, which is supported by all parts of the community.

Why does the UK claim Northern Ireland? What strategic advantage does it even hold? Does it even have any natural resources?

Comment

**** the IRA and all it's religious bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Carolla View Post
        Why does the UK claim Northern Ireland? What strategic advantage does it even hold? Does it even have any natural resources?
        Pride and I believe the people of Northern Ireland want to be part of the UK anyway. That's why they are fighting

The other issue is religion.

Catholic VS protestants.

I may be wrong on this, so if I am, sorry.

Comment

I heard the explosion and I live miles away from where it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Carolla View Post
            England has all of Ireland under there rule for many years, The Ira used guerrilla warfare and forced them negotiate, Which they offered the country back but not the North due to the ports and **** they have up there, they make a lot of money.
            It eventually let to civil war in Ireland because most people wanted to keep fighting and get the whole country back but I don't myself that was possible

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
              Pride and I believe the people of Northern Ireland want to be part of the UK anyway. That's why they are fighting

The other issue is religion.

Catholic VS protestants.

I may be wrong on this, so if I am, sorry.
              You cant say the people want to be part of the UK anyway?
              There wouldn't be any trouble if that was the case,
              It is pride on the catholic side I feel we want our country back and are rightly so but I don't think through terrorism will it happen, If it ever happens at all unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Monkz View Post
                I heard the explosion and I live miles away from where it happened.
                Sorry to hear that mate, Hope you and yours are okay

Comment

Originally posted by S K I N View Post
                  Sorry to hear that mate, Hope you and yours are okay
                  Yeah everything is good, thankfully there were no bad injuries in this bombing.

Comment

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...lfast_-_Police

Comment

Working...
                    X