No announcement yet.

The fighter who had everything.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    from a fans perpective this may be true. from a boxing judges stand point your statement would be false.
    since you speak of fans/judges...

from the judges standpoint with that particular fight, it was a close, split decision, that they saw sugar ray leonard's way...that means, he landed a few more punches, but he didn't win the fight, but he looked like he did....i don't have a problem with that...

from fan's stanpoints, and even from many experts standpoints, the fight could have been easily scored for hagler...lol

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
      ehhhh, it was a great promotion, but the fight itself, was garbage...you had one guy, the linear champ, who came to fight, against another guy, the challenger, who was basically throwing pitty-pat flash combos, shoeshining, and downright running...the last two rounds were horrible...

now sugar ray leonard, vs. duran 1...that was a great fight...
      it was a fine contest, very engaging throughout.

i believe you are just salty because Ray proved himself the superior fighter and the stronger character.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
        so, you note that Ray laboured somewhat with Howard and was dropped, yet you don't acknowledge that he was past his best when fighting Marvin some additional (substance-filled) years later?

hmm, interesting.

Leonard will always be Marvin's daddy, bro. Hagler is mentally owned to Ray.
        don't get away from the point...the point is, at the time that sugar ray leonard, fought kevin howard, he was in his prime, fighting @ 154 lbs, drug/alcohol free, and marvin hagler was prime, @ 160 lbs...that was the true time that their paths should have crossed...instead of fighting hagler, i guess he figured it was better to get sniffed out on that booger sugar...lol

point is, sugar ray leonard, put himself on the shelf and worked for hbo, while marvelous marvin hagler, was putting in much work, for the 3 years sugar ray leonard, was getting up enough courage...

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
          it was a fine contest, very engaging throughout.

i believe you are just salty because Ray proved himself the superior fighter and the stronger character.
          he was a superior fighter @ welterweight...middleweight?...ehhh...he needed too many provisions...thats just like the flashy hollywood lakers are playing the blue collar celtics, and the lakers rim is 8ft, cause magic ain't got no hops, and celtics rim is 10, because larry bird can hit nothing but net from anywhere on the court....
          Last edited by djtmal; 01-19-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

in my top 10 most talented fighters of all time for sure.

great speed
            great chin
            big power.

Comment

slightly overrated in my book, due to the retiring, and unretiring, and the lalonde fight for two belts was a farce...

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                in my top 10 most talented fighters of all time for sure.

great speed
                great chin
                big power.
                "underrated toughster".

That's a phrase you used about him a while ago that stuck with me. It's a great phase. For all his diva behaviour, he was one bad motherf-cker. When all is said and done, he fought Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Benitez.

Incidentally, his book is damn good. He's still my least favourite of the Four Kings but it did make me like him more.

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
                  prime pac vs prime leonard OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
                  It would not be competitive.

Comment

i thought he intentionally headbutted benitez, but it was a good win...

Comment

ehhhh, it was a great promotion, but the fight itself, was garbage...you had one guy, the linear champ, who came to fight, against another guy, the challenger, who was basically throwing pitty-pat flash combos, shoeshining, and downright running...the last two rounds were horrible...

now sugar ray leonard, vs. duran 1...that was a great fight...
                      Wow. Never thought id hear anyone say the fight was garbage. And i see the 'pitty-pat' myth continues. Leonard threw big shots that landed clean, and his flurries were when he was fighting Hagler off him, making Hagler cover up. His shots were never going to hurt Marvin, but those 'pitty-pat' punches were actually great displays of heart and will.
                      Originally posted by KayDub View Post
                      Both Hagler and Duran are better fighters than Sugar Ray Leonard.

They're all pretty much even as far as boxing goes, though.

I just can't give any respect to fighters that fight like little *****es, especially when they "beat" a champion by running away the whole fight.
                      Its called boxing. Maybe its not what you like but its a sport, and Leonard would be stupid to try and fight on the inside against Hagler all night. He boxed and moved and countered. Ho anyone can say he ran all night baffles me.
                      i thought he intentionally headbutted benitez, but it was a good win...
                      Hater. lol

Comment

Working...
                      X