Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmy johnstone respect thread

jimmy johnstone age 61 died today after a long batlle with
    motor neurone disease

jimmy or wee jinky as he was known was voted glasgow celtic's greatest ever player by fans and is arguably the greatest winger britain ever produced which is why he was dubbed by celtic fans
    "lord of the wing".

post your respects to jimmy here

here is a link to his site

http://www.jimmyjohnstone.com/

some clips of his greatness

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ol68Kr-Ukf0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XUCoOCNAY_U

RIP Jinky

Sleep well!

Comment

Jimmy Johnstone:

I saw this and thought it might be what the former Dallas head coach, current FOX T.V. analyst might be called if he was featured on The Flintstones.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxerdog
        Jimmy Johnstone:

I saw this and thought it might be what the former Dallas head coach, current FOX T.V. analyst might be called if he was featured on The Flintstones.
        nah! thats why its in the limey lounge
        we dont do american football here

Comment

For those who didn't know of him:

Ex-Celtic captain Billy McNeill has paid tribute to ex-team-mate and fellow Lisbon Lion Jimmy Johnstone, who died on Monday from motor neurone disease. The duo were in the side that won the European Cup in 1967 and McNeill said: "Jimmy was a lovely wee man and was a team-mate and a friend to all of us.
          "I was lucky enough to play alongside him but I have as much respect for the courageous way he handled his illness. "He loved the Celtic fans. This news is devastating for everyone."

Tommy Gemmell, who was also in the Celtic team that beat Inter Milan in 1967, said Johnstone would go down in history as the club's finest ever player. "It's a tragedy. We've lost a great pal and a colleague," said Gemmell. "He fought the disease with great courage and he stood up to it well.

"On the pitch he had the heart of a lion and the ability of a maestro. He was an unbelievable player, as good as any you will see. "We have lost a magnificent player who created a lot of history for the club. I doubt very much if we'll see his like again."

Another ex-team-mate, Bertie Auld, said he could not believe Johnstone had passed away. "I still can't get to grips with the news. You know what a player he was, but what a person. He was the kindest guy in the world," said Auld.

"All the time he was lying there he never complained. I saw him on Friday and, like any time you met him, you left feeling a stronger person.

"Jimmy was so desperate to help other people with the same disease, he wanted a cure for it even though he knew he couldn't be helped." Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell said it was a very sad day for the Parkhead outfit.

"It is a sad time for the whole Celtic family," said Lawwell. "Jimmy was rightly regarded as the greatest ever Celt. "This was an accolade the Celtic supporters voted to give him and was a measure of the esteem in which they held him, even above the many great players who have played for the club over the years. "Our thoughts are with Jimmy's wife Agnes and his family and friends."

Glasgow Lord Provost Liz Cameron added: "Jinky was loved and admired by millions of football fans. "His death, after a tremendously brave battle against an awful illness, will be mourned not just in Glasgow, but in cities and towns all across the world.

"This is a very sad day indeed."

Comment

RIP.

Goodbye to another great player.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxclever
              RIP.

Goodbye to another great player.
              agreed besty was probably your teams greatest ever player
              and he passed a few months ago

Comment

Originally posted by OASIS_LAD
                agreed besty was probably your teams greatest ever player
                and he passed a few months ago

besty was my number one all time best. Better than Pele IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Boxclever
                  besty was my number one all time best. Better than Pele IMO
                  well pele himself said besty was the greatest player he had ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by OASIS_LAD
                    well pele himself said besty was the greatest player he had ever seen
                    Ha I Knew it.

Comment

Working...
                    X