Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Abraham stayed at 160, does he break Hopkins' MW record?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    His career best win was a life and death battle with Edison Miranda and Taylor coming off a KO loss. If he had broke the record it would have been against a long string of no-hopers and never-was opposition.
    sounds familiar doesnt it

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      Yep, people forget just how unbeatable he looked at 160, him and Kessler were favorites to win the tournament.

His power was no joke at 160 and it made his style very effective. He was a tough m'fer the way he went 8 rounds against Miranda with a broken jaw, lost so much blood he could've died.

Once he moved up his power lost effectiveness, as did his style, didn't help he was fighting such great super middles either.
      He's also like 5'9 and was still able to KO people at 168. Very strong guy--SAD the people around him couldn't convince him to go back down to 160.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
        sounds familiar doesnt it
        Yes it does. Floyd's best win was Diego Corrales and he went life and death with Maidana, a B-rate brawler.

Comment

only if he doesn't fit the elite guys.

Comment

Taylor wasn't AA's first trip north of 160 if i'm not mistaken.
            I think for around half of those previous 29 fights he came in over the MW limit, so i think it was just a matter of time before he couldn't hit the 160 mark anymore and moved to 168 for the long haul.

He was on 10 defences and looked to be a 2/3 fight(s) a year guy. So to break Hopkins record (20 is it?), he'd need around 4 years all in all unbeaten.

Around that time you'd imagine he would of had to of faced guys like Sturm, Martinez, Pavlik, Pirog, Maybe even Willams.
            Those guys were at different stages of their careers, but some of those guys, i couldn't see AA beating.

He was a very solid MW though, i loved watching him around that time. Him at 160 at that time was a tough night for anyone.
            If he could of made weight for several more years, took easy fights amongst the tougher ones..he maybe could of ran it close.
            But i doubt all that would have happened.
            Last edited by Chrismart; 09-27-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X