Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRM is the future of gaming, like it or not

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirating games is a problem on PCs, its hardly an issue on current consoles. This is pure greed the way they are moving now, not a way to combat piracy. Not allowing me to let a friend borrow a game is greed, not piracy.

Comment

It's not just about piracy, either. Digital has a much higher profit margin than physical does. While physical discs are still going to exist on the Xbox One, the discs will not contain any of the game rights, and games will essentially run digitally since they'll be booted from the hard drive and not the disc.

There IS a plus side to phasing out physical discs, though. With physical discs gone and the used game market eliminated, publishers and developers will be free to offer the same sort of massive discounts on XBL that they currently do on Steam.

If they decide to do so, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        It's not just about piracy, either. Digital has a much higher profit margin than physical does. While physical discs are still going to exist on the Xbox One, the discs will not contain any of the game rights, and games will essentially run digitally since they'll be booted from the hard drive and not the disc.

There IS a plus side to phasing out physical discs, though. With physical discs gone and the used game market eliminated, publishers and developers will be free to offer the same sort of massive discounts on XBL that they currently do on Steam.

Playstation already offers crazy deals for gamers who have Playstation Plus. They give away a lot of free games that are yours as long as you pay for the service. They'll probably tone that down since a lot more people will pay for PS Plus out of necessity on PS4, but that will just mean great deals rather than a **** ton of free games, along with what games will still be free.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Playstation already offers crazy deals for gamers who have Playstation Plus. They give away a lot of free games that are yours as long as you pay for the service. They'll probably tone that down since a lot more people will pay for PS Plus out of necessity on PS4, but that will just mean great deals rather than a **** ton of free games, along with what games will still be free.
          Well Xbox live gives me almost half a buck once a year on my birthday, so, y'know, there's that....

Comment

Or they could continue to take it one step further from the DRM and pocket the extra $..

Microsoft doesn't discount anything unless every gamer and their mother have played it already and/or it was a fluke to begin with.

Comment

Hence the "if they decide to do so, of course" part.

Comment

Hence the "if they decide to do so, of course" part.
                I know what you meant Just taking some cheap shots at microsoft cuz that's the cool thing to do, and they totally deserve it.

Comment

nerds! i call upon thee!

hack thy console...or game, or w/e...

and some companies should stop wasting so much money on super duper graphics, which is what most of their money goes too i feel

anywhore....im not a gaming nut so that's all folks

Comment

Sony has always done things that never made sense or money. The PS3 processer for example.

There are always going to be companies that dont do what the others do. That's the beauty of a non monopolized market.

You can choose where to put your money, and your choice will shape what proceeds.

Comment

Very easy, do what I'm gonna do.

Don't buy games/consoles with DRM.

Comment

Working...
                      X