No announcement yet.

help picking a gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help picking a gym

Hello, I am new to boxing, coming from a jiu jitsu/MMA background. As it stands i would like to get into boxing for awhile to improve my stsnd up. In the area I live in there are 2 boxing gyms, one just opened a couple months ago I went in for a day and the main issue I see is that they are yet to acquire any adults, they don't do a separate class for kids and adults so it just seemed a bit weird to me. Second option I went into the gym and in two weeks of going (that is the trial period they give) I saw only 2 people including the coach. So my question is should I go with the new gym and hope they get more members or the second option knowing that I would only have one option for a training partner. Any other advice or insight on what to look for is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by CM1995 View Post
    Hello, I am new to boxing, coming from a jiu jitsu/MMA background. As it stands i would like to get into boxing for awhile to improve my stsnd up. In the area I live in there are 2 boxing gyms, one just opened a couple months ago I went in for a day and the main issue I see is that they are yet to acquire any adults, they don't do a separate class for kids and adults so it just seemed a bit weird to me. Second option I went into the gym and in two weeks of going (that is the trial period they give) I saw only 2 people including the coach. So my question is should I go with the new gym and hope they get more members or the second option knowing that I would only have one option for a training partner. Any other advice or insight on what to look for is greatly appreciated.
    Go where the adults are you don’t want to get beat up by a 14 or 15 year old kid who has numerous amateur fights

Comment

Much like an MMA gym, good trainers will attract good students.

You should see some pros training there, usually during the day when there are no classes, if not, it might just be a box-fitness type of place.

What city are you in?

Comment

Im in twin falls id

Comment

Im in twin falls id
          How far away are the gyms you are looking at?

Comment

Within 20 minutes of driving so 30 miles tops.options are limited it's a rural farming community.

Comment

Im in twin falls id
              Too bad you aren't closer to Caldwell. I know of a quality gym, a real boxing gym, there.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                Too bad you aren't closer to Caldwell. I know of a quality gym, a real boxing gym, there.
                Which one?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Which one?
                  The Fighting Garcia's Gym. They have been there over 40 years turning out amateurs and pros, hosting tournaments. The whole family boxes.

Comment

I've actually never stepped foot into any other boxing club but my own, so what constitutes as a "quality" boxing gym?

I love my club and definitely don't intend on changing, just curious what you all would consider a good boxing gym.

Comment

Working...
                    X