Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anderson Silva addresses UFC release, states ‘desire to continue doing what I love’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson Silva addresses UFC release, states ‘desire to continue doing what I love’

UFC legend Anderson Silva has released a statement addressing his departure from the promotion he’s called home since 2006.

With one fight remaining, “The Spider” was officially released from his UFC contract earlier this week and is now a free agent. The news came three weeks after Silva suffered a fourth-round TKO loss to Uriah Hall at a UFC APEX show in Las Vegas on Oct. 31.

On Saturday, Silva, 45, released a statement via Instagram addressing his release and plans for the future.

(Translated from Portuguese)

“I didn’t want to talk about this subject especially because I’m on vacation but, as the saying goes, a deal is a deal. I’ll make it clear for all my fans that this is a moment of joy and a lot of gratitude. I feel free after they tried to force my retirement. I love and will always love what I do. Wins and losses are part of the game, it has absolutely nothing to do with age. I made technical flaws and lost but I haven’t lost what matters the most, which is my desire to continue doing what I love. I still got the warrior spirit and this fire in my heart still motivates me. I have no doubt that I’m capable of continuing competing in MMA. I’ll use this moment to reflect about my career and set my next steps. Stay tuned.”

According to Silva’s statement, it sounds as if he is planning to fight again. He wrote, “I made technical flaws and lost but I haven’t lost what matters the most, which is my desire to continue doing what I love.”

Shortly after Silva’s loss to Hall, UFC President Dana White said that he regretted booking Silva for another fight and he told TMZ that he thinks Silva should retire.

“I feel free after they tried to force my retirement,” Silva wrote in his statement.

In his 14-year run with the UFC, Silva compiled a 17-7 record (with a win over Nick Diaz overturned to a no contest when Silva tested positive for banned substances). He reigned as the promotion’s middleweight champion for six and a half years, winning his first 16 fights inside the octagon and claiming victories over the likes of Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, Forrest Griffin, and Demian Maia among other notable names.

Prior to joining the UFC, Silva competed for England’s Cage Rage promotion and Japan’s PRIDE promotion.

He 1-7 with one no contest in his last nine outings.

Hes going to bellator, it fits there mo, get fighters that have a name but is done career wise usually older side ect that the ufc released cause wont winning anymore. Tito ortiz rampage jackson mitrione to name a few outside fedor. Bellator is where i go to build a name michael chandler ben askren or when u got name but career done. Rarely does it happen your in your prime and sign with bellator over ufc (gergard, phil davis and rory macdonald). Signing with bellator would be good for both them and silva if he wants 3 fights hell fight championship or big name . the way bellator structured silva can finally box roy jones jr. Also silva a big name bellator wants to grow itd be great for bellator to expand to brasil mma 2nd largest market after usa

Comment

Right. Well, this circus event of watching a legend take legacy damaging losses will continue then.

Comment

He would likely make good money in BKFC.

Comment

The first UFC (not MMA event, but UFC) I attended was 64, which was headlined by Rich Ace Franklin and Anderson Silva.

Comment

He loves getting his ass beat? Cuz thats all he's been doing lately.

I hope he retires. And it sounds like most of the orgs are passing on him so he might have a forced retirement or an embarrassing level of competition for low pay if he continues. Even BKFC said they weren't interested ffs. Thats not good for Silva if he's in a position where he needs money. I assume he can get paid teaching or coaching or something else in the MMA world besides the in the cage stuff if push comes to shove.
            Last edited by Eff Pandas; 11-27-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X