Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the Duran over Leonard win at the first fight.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first fight is what mattered and Duran won it and the rematch doesn't hold weight because we saw what a focus Duran could do to a prime Leonard and Leonard couldn't beat a past prime focus Duran. Leonard just took advantage of durans partying and blowing up after fights, Leonard himself said this, the only reason people hold Leonard nuts is because of the no mas, other then that Duran won the first fight that mattered

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
      Be the greatest win in the history of boxing?

Duran, a natural lightweight as tall as Pacquiao. Went up in 2 weight division as 74 fight veteran past his best days to face Sugar Ray Leonard at 25 years old. At his prime weight, at his strongest at his fastest, and at his most confident moment while being naturally bigger by 8-12 pounds and was 4 inches taller while revered to as one of the Top 5 greatest fighter of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizardsh View Post
        The first fight is what mattered and Duran won it and the rematch doesn't hold weight because we saw what a focus Duran could do to a prime Leonard and Leonard couldn't beat a past prime focus Duran. Leonard just took advantage of durans partying and blowing up after fights, Leonard himself said this, the only reason people hold Leonard nuts is because of the no mas, other then that Duran won the first fight that mattered

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
          Meaning Duran forced Leonard to fight and brawl. And then in the rematch Leonard decides that his fighting style as a boxer puncher is not enough and solely trained on winning by points.
          I get what you're saying but if he forced him to fight and brawl why didn't it work in the rematch? The real question to convince me is did Leonard lose the fight based on his skill set or his game plan? Because his game plan in the rematch worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by stiff_back View Post
            I don't buy this account of the rivalry.

Leonard fought very similarly in both fights. One of the big differences though was that Duran hurt Leonard early in the first fight and he didn't quite recover after that.

A bigger factor though is that Duran couldn't give a **** in the second fight. People forget that before he quit the fight was actually pretty close. It certainly wasn't the one sided schooling that people now seem to remember it for.
            You are right about his willingness to quit. I do think Leonard boxed and moved considerably more in the rematch.

Comment

Yeah it's definitely up there. I think Ali over Foreman is probably the greatest win ever, simply because of how big that fight was, but Duran over Leonard is no worse than 4th or 5th. And most of the wins ahead of it are at heavyweight (Louis over Schmeling, Frazier over Ali etc.). Outside of heavyweight it has very few rivals.

Certainly it's one of the greatest fights ever. Electrifying to watch even now. Boxing at it's very best.

Comment

Originally posted by Oluminati View Post
                I get what you're saying but if he forced him to fight and brawl why didn't it work in the rematch? The real question to convince me is did Leonard lose the fight based on his skill set or his game plan? Because his game plan in the rematch worked like a charm.
                Leonard was only up 4-3 on one of the cards. What was different about the rematch was Duran, more than it was Leonard.

I mean the 30 for 30 version of the fight is nonsense. Dundee was talking throughout the camp that Leonard was the bigger man and he was going to impose his size. He wasn't 'lured' into anything.

What makes the win so impressive is that Leonard was almost unbeatable at 147. His wins in such a short period of time are incredible. Only Robinson can be picked ahead of him in the all-time welterweight rankings.

Comment

When Duran stated the inspirational quote "NO MAS" ?

Comment

Oscar beating Pernell is more memorable.

Comment

I would rate it as one of the top 5 in no particular order. Both were at their prime and fighting at their best. Duran wasn't expected to win.

Louis/Schmelling II

Tyson/Douglas

Foreman/Moorer

Frazier/Ali I

Comment

Working...
                      X