Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mayweather in the same bracket as Ali and Tyson now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    No. Ali and Tyson were HW's and both were and are universally recognizable icons. Just about every sports fan around the world would recognize them. Floyd just isn't up there at all. The closest thing from this period would be De La Hoya.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      This loser has walked through Timbuktu, Mumbai and Karachi and asked around if they know who Mayweather is :lol:

Spoon 2.0
      What xeactly as hurt your feelings? Do you genuinely believe he is as well known globally as Muhammad Ali?

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        I bet you're wrong.

What a great argument to settle the debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandur View Post
          What a great argument to settle the debate.
          😂😂😂

I've been to two countries in Europe and two in Africa over the past eight months -- Mayweather is worldwide.

Comment

I am talking global star power. Not boxing resume.
            So am I. It's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
              LOL @ one of the GOATS and the best of the last 20 years just being forgotten. Ali was hated for his beliefs, but the main reasons were that he was brash, ****y and black. The same reasons as Money Mayweather and once he retires most of the haters will change and claim they were fans since day 1. It's already starting to happen now, a lot of people have changed their minds about him. Mayweather has the highest PPV numbers ever and can do speaking engagements all around the world and get paid more than anyone else. He's the biggest name in boxing period.
              And still not an icon that's reality, I know you groupies don't want to accept it but it is what it is

Comment

Originally posted by Wizardsh View Post
                And still not an icon that's reality, I know you groupies don't want to accept it but it is what it is
                In what world is he not an icon? He's the richest and most well known athlete in sports and the greatest boxer of the last 30 years. His clothing line alone makes $10 million a year if those things don't make him an icon I don't know what does. You might not like him but there's no doubt he's the greatest boxer of this generation and maybe the greatest athlete as well. There's no one else who's ever been this far above the competition for this long. Or anyone who's commanded as much interest. So much so that he can go anywhere in the world and get paid huge money just to talk. He's an icon and a legend.
                Last edited by JK1700; 09-01-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

The way I see it is

Most famous ever - Ali and Tyson
                  Followed by Holyfield, Foreman and Frazier - everyone I've ever met knows who these 3 are, largely due to their association with the above 2

Then after that top 5 it really becomes country dependent IMO e.g.
                  Pacquiao is the star of the Philippines
                  In the UK our most famous are Lewis, Hamed, Eubank, Benn etc
                  Panama would obviously be Duran
                  Mexico/Mexican American - JJC Sr, De la Hoya
                  Puerto Rico - Trinidad

I imagine in America, the household names are Ray Leonard, Mayweather, Joe Louis, possibly Jones Jr? I don't know, the American posters are far more versed to provide opinions on this bit

Comment

Mayweather is not quite as famous as Tyson or Ali but he is close and he lacks a couple of things that Tyson and Ali had.

1) Time-as stated by others Tyson and Ali were both famous and hated during their times but views of them softened as time passed and looking at them in hindsight improved their standing in the eyes of the public as will Floyd's standing improve with time.

2) Being humbled-Both Ali and Tyson were humbled by tremendous a$$ whippings toward the end of their careers and for some haters seeing that lessened the hatred and made them more able to humanize these larger than life figures.
                    Floyd never got that and some haters still have a flaming hatred of him because they never got to see him humbled. That burning hatred will keep the anti-Floyd crowd posing opposition to the growing legend of Floyd that is no longer there for Ali and Tyson.

Comment

The closest thing from this period would be De La Hoya.
                      @ this again, and him handing out red K because people laughed at the insane post.

Comment

Working...
                      X