Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today 77 years ago, Louis KO Conn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_HbHEY8Gqh4&t=9s

June 18, 1941

To Quote the late great Burt Randolph Sugar , “ What’s The Sense Of Being Irish If you Can’t Be Stupid.” Those where the words of Billy Conn after the fight when he was asked why did you go for the knockout when you so far ahead on the score card. That’s classic Billy Conn

Comment

I like the idea of that too, because one never knows how judges are scoring the fight. We've seen many a boxer screwed with a horrible decision, so guys like Conn probably figure best to go for the stoppage, which is the only guaranteed victory. I remember Shane Mosley getting a TKO win on HBO the week after the horribly scored Delahoya-Trinidad fight and he pretty much said just that. I remember on either the Lewis or Holyfield episode of Ringside that Manny Stewart said that he told Lennox to pick up the pace in the middle rounds because he didn't like the body language he was seeing on the judges and he turned out to be right. Also showing you're trying to get the stoppage probably shows more of that "effective aggression" that judges like.

Conn also probably wanted to show he was really trying to take the title from the champ and not just coast at the end to a decision.

Comment

Actually Conn was interviewed about this bout. He had hurt Louis the round prior. In between rounds he told his handlers I'm going to knock Louis out as his handlers urged him to keep boxing.

Comment

--- Joe was very light for the fight trying to lessen the size difference and that mentality showed much like Hagler vs Duran.

Neither were natural bullies and stuck in trying to outbox clever boxers. After a bad day at the office as everyone has, they prevailed, and who can ask more of a fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
            To Quote the late great Burt Randolph Sugar , “ What’s The Sense Of Being Irish If you Can’t Be Stupid.” Those where the words of Billy Conn after the fight when he was asked why did you go for the knockout when you so far ahead on the score card. That’s classic Billy Conn
            Burt was the king of the one-liners.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              Burt was the king of the one-liners.
              Yeah him and Rodney Dangerfield.

Comment

From a Billy Conn interview; Billy talking about what he said to Joe Louis years after the fight.

Conn: "Hey Joe why didn't you just let me win the fight? I could have run down to the corner, told the guys 'hey I'm heavyweight champion of the world,' and then you could have won it back six months later?"

Louis' reply: "You had the title for 12 rounds, what makes you think you could have held onto it for six months?"

Comment

--- Some Joe Louisisms:

He can run but he can't hide, the Conn fight.

I'd make you one of my bums too, after Ali ridiculed him for his bum of the month club.

Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.

My favorite when queried by an asinine reporter, "Joe, they say you don't like it to the body"

WHO DO?

Comment

LOL - There was all this racist **** back in 1910; Whites convinced themselves that Black fighters couldn't take it to the body; it was suppose to be Jeffries big advantage.

It makes me wonder about the intent of that 'asinine" reporter who asked Louis the question.

Comment

Working...
                    X