No announcement yet.

Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Adrien Broner *would look like Roy vs Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    Maybe he's reached his peak, just maybe. But both of these guys have the same amount of pro experience.

Let me ask you this, do you think Martinez has improved from 7 years ago when he was 30? I think he has and the point Im trying to make is, that age is not always a factor.

I'd agree with you if you said Rigo already peaked cause IMO all he needs to change/improve is being more aggressive so he can become more fan friendly. But I believe Gamboa can still improve in some areas, like his D.
    I don't think the question is whether improvement is needed, but whether improvement is possible. The answer would vary from person to person. It's impossible to accurately predict. Just because Sergio improved doesn't mean Yuri or Rigo will. Personally, I think Guille will improve more than Gamboa at this point. The reason is that Rigo is still finding his way in the pros. Yuri has visibly evolved since turning professional.

Comment

Gamboa hangs the first L on Broner's record.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        Gamboa does use his legs more because broner contrary to popular belief is more of a come forward fighter with a half decent shoulder roll defense. I don't think PDL had more to do with beating broner than he himself did. Broner in that fight seemed to me like he was standing in front of PDL trading shots & eating more than necessary thinking he could out bang a man 2 weight classes smaller.

I'm certain if & when broner connects on gamboa's already suspect chin, he'll put a dent in it. Because gamboa's been floored by far lesser punchers, slower too.
        I agree with you. People do tend to think Broner is some type of slick boxer when he really isn't and you could see it vs Escobedo. Gamboa might have a suspect chin but in none of the times he was dropped did he look hurt. Not once. Even when Salido dropped him and look what Salido did to Juanma (that's a suspect chin). Now you can make the case that those guys don't hit as hard as Broner but I think Salido hits pretty damn hard and he was not able to hurt Gamboa.

Im sure you're tired of hearing this but look at Trinidad, how many times was he down in his career? What did he do every time he got up from those KD's?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
          I think Broner wins because he's bigger and longer. I don't think it would resemble Roy Jones jr. and Floyd Mayweather jr. as Gamboa doesn't fight like Roy and he doesn't have the physicality of Roy.

But who knows, maybe Broner is hiding something about his chin that Gamboa could exploit.
          That last bit is a pretty fair question, imo.

Sure the size thing makes sense. On the other hand Gamboa is worlds above anybody Broner has faced. Has Broner improved/will he continue to improve? He's probably improved some. Will he continue to improve? Maybe...how does Broner see himself? Does he think there's room for improvement? Maybe. Maybe not.

Gamboa who has flaws, but has also been improving, has beat better guys than Broner has fought. Has been tested a little bit and not found wanting. That Salido win is looking better all the time. The point's been made to death regarding their common opponent PDL (full disclosure: I saw Gamboa/De Leon but missed Broner/ De Leon ).

So if you put Broner's size advantage (it's a pretty significant size advantage) against Gamboa's experience advantage and slight speed advantage, whaddayagot? A fight that's tough for me to pick lol. Until I see this Broner (the improved one) in against somebody that can test him, I guess I'd have Yuri as a slight favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            I don't think the question is whether improvement is needed, but whether improvement is possible. The answer would vary from person to person. It's impossible to accurately predict. Just because Sergio improved doesn't mean Yuri or Rigo will. Personally, I think Guille will improve more than Gamboa at this point. The reason is that Rigo is still finding his way in the pros. Yuri has visibly evolved since turning professional.
            It's kinda what I said. Gamboa has room to improve his D and stop getting wreckless a lot of times, which is one the KD's come. And Rigo can improve in being more aggressive.

When Broner comes forward with his guard up (not the shell) he's used to walking these dudes down against the ropes. Guys that seem to be intimidated and not as mobile as Gamboa. So when Broner tries to walk Gamboa down to the ropes, who has the footwork advantage, and doesn't find him there how will he deal with it? Gamboa can easily find a hole in that guard tag him as he moves forward and get out the way. That's how I see it in my head but maybe Im just being biased. From what Ive seen Broner doesn't counter very often when his opponent is on the attack. He usually lets them throw first then he throws.

Comment

I would agree if someone said Broner beats Gamboa cause of his chin or something like that but not size. When you have your tools and you know how to use them then you find a way how to win. Look at Tyson, small ass heavyweight and even when he was a teen (or barely getting out of his teen years) he was destroying bigger dudes, grown ass men.

Broner hasn't faced anyone like Gamboa to say Broner would beat him. And while Gamboa hasn't faced anyone like Broner, he HAS faced the better opposition.
              Size and strength are advantages in any form of fighting, including boxing. There's an old saying: "A good big man will always beat a good small man." Tyson possessed attributes that outweighed his natural disadvantages. Does Yuri? I think so.

Comment

Size and strength are advantages in any form of fighting, including boxing. There's an old saying: "A good big man will always beat a good small man." Tyson possessed attributes that outweighed his natural disadvantages. Does Yuri? I think so.
                There's always ways to beat the bigger guy if you have the tools and use them right. Whether you use them right or not then that's on you. That's what separates the good fighters from the avg ones.

To me the way that Broner would get Gamboa would be,if Gamboa gets caught up in the crowd and get wreckless just to be exciting, which he tends to do. It's a huge mistake obviously cause that's when he always gets caught. So Broner would have to force Gamboa somehow into trading and catch him there. But boxing wise, I just can't see Broner beating Gamboa.

I mentioned Gamboa can improve his D and remember there were rumors of Roger Mayweather training Gamboa and he's associated with Floyd as well, so how do you think those 2 influences will play out in Gamboa's already spectacular game?

Comment

It's kinda what I said. Gamboa has room to improve his D and stop getting wreckless a lot of times, which is one the KD's come. And Rigo can improve in being more aggressive.

When Broner comes forward with his guard up (not the shell) he's used to walking these dudes down against the ropes. Guys that seem to be intimidated and not as mobile as Gamboa. So when Broner tries to walk Gamboa down to the ropes, who has the footwork advantage, and doesn't find him there how will he deal with it? Gamboa can easily find a hole in that guard tag him as he moves forward and get out the way. That's how I see it in my head but maybe Im just being biased. From what Ive seen Broner doesn't counter very often when his opponent is on the attack. He usually lets them throw first then he throws.
                  Although I've only seen a handful of Broner's fights, I've noticed the same thing. Adrien also likes to pot-shot; he doesn't throw many combinations. I wonder how he'll react with a guy like Gamboa, who throws blazing punches in bunches, and with bad intentions. Yuri isn't likely to get walked down at all, in my opinion. I just don't see it.

Comment

Although I've only seen a handful of Broner's fights, I've noticed the same thing. Adrien also likes to pot-shot; he doesn't throw many combinations. I wonder how he'll react with a guy like Gamboa, who throws blazing punches in bunches, and with bad intentions. Yuri isn't likely to get walked down at all, in my opinion. I just don't see it.
                    Yea well, Im just stating facts from what I've seen but most people would call it bias cause of my nationality I guess.

Comment

There's always ways to beat the bigger guy if you have the tools and use them right. Whether you use them right or not then that's on you. That's what separates the good fighters from the avg ones.

To me the way that Broner would get Gamboa would be,if Gamboa gets caught up in the crowd and get wreckless just to be exciting, which he tends to do. It's a huge mistake obviously cause that's when he always gets caught. So Broner would have to force Gamboa somehow into trading and catch him there. But boxing wise, I just can't see Broner beating Gamboa.

I mentioned Gamboa can improve his D and remember there were rumors of Roger Mayweather training Gamboa and he's associated with Floyd as well, so how do you think those 2 influences will play out in Gamboa's already spectacular game?
                      Tough to say. It kind of goes back to what we were discussing before: Is Gamboa likely to improve? I think Yuri is pretty much a finished product. Is there room for improvement? Certainly. I just think Gamboa's gone about as far as he's likely to go, in terms of boxing ability. I don't think any trainer can make a big impact at this stage. In fact, trying to force the issue could hurt Yuri.

I have no worries. I think Gamboa is an amazing fighter, regardless of any flaws. Yuri has improved his defecnce and, as in the Ponce bout, he's shown that he can win in a different style. Too bad Gamboa isn't a little younger, I think he's a special talent.

Comment

Working...
                      X