Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endgames.. Did SRL get inside Haglers head?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endgames.. Did SRL get inside Haglers head?

Leading up to the fight it was widely reported that SRL had played a lot of mind games with Hagler which may or may not have cost him the fight.. Any additional info into the alledged antics of Leonard would be appreciated.

Also, what are your opinons on this topic, because as it stands, MM's career was effectively ended due to this fight. And had Hagler been given the nod, where do you think their respective career paths would have taken them?

While the judging wasn't the best, Hagler has no one to blame but himself for that loss. He gave away the first three rounds fighting orthodox trying to show that Leonard wasn't in his class, and his hubris bit him in the ass.

Comment

Had Hagler won the fight and continued he would have most likely retired as he was already thinking about this before the Leonard fight. If he didn't he probably would have gone on to fight fought Herol Graham or Mike McCallum. At the level he was at these are risky fights, I believe he grinds out a decision over Graham after being made to look very bad and then realises he is no longer as good as he once was. Then hangs up his gloves

Well before the fights Leonard and Hagler were actually friendly and would go out for a drink together. When Hagler said he wasn't as motivated as he once was, Leonard being Leonard pounced. I think Hagler felt somewhat betrayed and wanted to prove to Leonard he was better than him. This is the reason for his orthodox fighting and the beginning and being past his prime that wasn't possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Had Hagler won the fight and continued he would have most likely retired as he was already thinking about this before the Leonard fight. If he didn't he probably would have gone on to fight fought Herol Graham or Mike McCallum. At the level he was at these are risky fights, I believe he grinds out a decision over Graham after being made to look very bad and then realises he is no longer as good as he once was. Then hangs up his gloves

Well before the fights Leonard and Hagler were actually friendly and would go out for a drink together. When Hagler said he wasn't as motivated as he once was, Leonard being Leonard pounced. I think Hagler felt somewhat betrayed and wanted to prove to Leonard he was better than him. This is the reason for his orthodox fighting and the beginning and being past his prime that wasn't possible.
        There was a huge pool of rising talent around at the time. James Schuler, Michael Nunn, Iran Barkley, Frank Tate, Michael Oladjide, James Kinchen were all on the up but with Hagler gone, ended up fighting it out amongst themselves.

Was Hagler really in decline or was it more a case of disasterous ring tactics on the night, because had he fought Leonard as a southpaw from the off, everything suggests Hagler would've won the fight. At 33 (ish) i'd say he still had a fair bit left in the tank (as well as the bank) and i feel it was mainly his lack of motivation that cost him his belt.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          There was a huge pool of rising talent around at the time. James Schuler, Michael Nunn, Iran Barkley, Frank Tate, Michael Oladjide, James Kinchen were all on the up but with Hagler gone, ended up fighting it out amongst themselves.

Was Hagler really in decline or was it more a case of disasterous ring tactics on the night, because had he fought Leonard as a southpaw from the off, everything suggests Hagler would've won the fight. At 33 (ish) i'd say he still had a fair bit left in the tank (as well as the bank) and i feel it was mainly his lack of motivation that cost him his belt.

He was most definitely on the decline, if you don't want to take my word for it, many newspapers reporters stated it was time for Hagler to get out of the game right after the Muhabi fight. They were saying that he was too slow and was getting hit with many punches he shouldn't have been.

Comment

hagler fought a good fight and i actually had him winning it but when it comes to big name fighters you have to knock them out or get a huge lead on the scorecards hagler was starting to look his age on that night as was leonard as well i think if hagler would of won he probably would of insisted on a rematch and get another huge overrated payday the fight was actual very boring with a lot of clutch and grabbing and very little boxing or brawling there were a few little spurts here or there but really not enough to make this fight a must see

Comment

He was without question in decline, that much was clear from his previous few fights. I'll give Leonard credit, what he managed to do was win the mindgames by taming Hagler, who did not go in the ring with that brutally vicious edge so important to his success the previous decade.

I still think Hagler won, but as already said he has no one to blame but himself. If he fought the first three or four rounds like he did all the rounds after, there wouldn't have been any debate. Those judges were clearly looking for any reason to give Leonard rounds, and Hagler let them.

Comment

At 33 (ish) i'd say he still had a fair bit left in the tank (as well as the bank) and i feel it was mainly his lack of motivation that cost him his belt.
                You should watch this documentary. It touches on a lot of your points:

5 parts

Comment

Ok gents, in decline due to lack of hunger, but i'd like to think that at 33he was still capable of beating Leonard and the other contenders i mentioned, most of whom were in their 20's..

John Mugabe fought the fight of his life that night and would have probably ko'd a horse had Hagler not been put infront of him.

Comment

Ok gents, in decline due to lack of hunger, but i'd like to think that at 33he was still capable of beating Leonard and the other contenders i mentioned, most of whom were in their 20's..

John Mugabe fought the fight of his life that night and would have probably ko'd a horse had Hagler not been put infront of him.
                    He wasn't as motivated but, no way can you put that down to the sole reason of his decline.

Comment

Working...
                    X