Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Liston didn't quit after the 6th round against Ali?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Liston didn't quit after the 6th round against Ali?

What would have happened if Sonny Liston didn't quit after the 6th round against Ali in there 1st fight?

Would this fight have gone the distance? Most people do not realize that Liston was ahead on the score cards after 6 rounds.

Would Ali have stopped Sonny? Liston could take one keck of a punch.

Almost surely Liston's eyes would have been swelled shut by the end of the fight.

Liston was already tired after 6 rounds,and would have been dog tired in the late rounds.But remember,Clay had never went over 10 rounds himself.

Any thoughts or comments on how this fight would have played out?

I personally believe that Liston was in fact having trouble with his shoulder. He would have been a punching bag for Ali but with enough determination Liston could have gone the distance. He didn't have that determination though.

I imagine he couldn't have won a single round from that point on so he would have lost a 11-4, 12-3 type of a decision if he did have it in him to go the distance, like Ernie Terrell for example.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      I personally believe that Liston was in fact having trouble with his shoulder. He would have been a punching bag for Ali but with enough determination Liston could have gone the distance. He didn't have that determination though.

I imagine he couldn't have won a single round from that point on so he would have lost a 11-4, 12-3 type of a decision if he did have it in him to go the distance, like Ernie Terrell for example.
      What if he wasn't having trouble with his shoulder?

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
        What if he wasn't having trouble with his shoulder?
        I think Liston would have still eventually retired in his corner. As you said, he was tiring, swelling and cutting up badly and by the 10th wouldn't have had anything left except for determination which he didn't have at that point.

If Liston decided he wanted to go out on his shield, he may have lasted the distance, losing a wide points decision, or would've been stopped on cuts.

A couple of years younger Liston (say the Liston of 1959-1960) with sufficient preparation may have made it a tougher night for Ali in my opinion.

Eddie Machen was no Ali but Liston was able to go 12 hard rounds against him and actually came on late in the fight, showing no signs of tiredness. Against Cleveland Williams his nose was broken early and against Marty Marshall his jaw was broken but he didn't quit in either of those fights.

Comment

Liston would have been exhausted and frustrated from chasing Ali around the whole night. I don't see too much of a different outcome.

Comment

Liston would have been exhausted and frustrated from chasing Ali around the whole night. I don't see too much of a different outcome.

Comment

Can't stand in the way of history Liston was aging by the minute and Ali was becoming great I think the latter rounds would have been horrible I think Ali would have tortured Liston

Comment

Liston quit in the 6th round to ruined Ali's prediction of a 7th round TKO.

Comment

I honestly believe Sonny Liston retired on his corner out of embarrassment,The first Clay-Liston fight was competitive but it was a fight that was clearly in the hands of Clay by the time it had been stopped.

Sonny had made light of Clays punching power(or lack of) and yet Clay was able to hurt him.Sonny Liston was a man not proud of,but certainly reliant on the aura of which he carried,He wanted to be a champion that the whole world would be proud of but to no avail,He eventually resigned himself to just being the scary big black guy who everybody was afraid of And he knew what people would think of the big bad bear chasing this dancing powder puff puncher around the ring to no avail and what it would do to his reputation.

He says he injured his shoulder and could no longer continue,But Liston at his peak would have continued if he knew he had a shot at winning,He had battled on through serious injuries in the past,Far worse than shoulder injuries.

It was a sad end to a misunderstood and unappreciated champion.Sonny Liston at his peak was a bad man with alot more than just a jab and a great power,He wasn't a brawler that demolished a great in Floyd Patterson twice in less than five minutes,He was a well rounded fighter who was tough as nails and had the most intimidating stare in human history.

God Bless the big bear....Charles "Sonny" Liston.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMacFoster View Post
                    I honestly believe Sonny Liston retired on his corner out of embarrassment,The first Clay-Liston fight was competitive but it was a fight that was clearly in the hands of Clay by the time it had been stopped.

Sonny had made light of Clays punching power(or lack of) and yet Clay was able to hurt him.Sonny Liston was a man not proud of,but certainly reliant on the aura of which he carried,He wanted to be a champion that the whole world would be proud of but to no avail,He eventually resigned himself to just being the scary big black guy who everybody was afraid of And he knew what people would think of the big bad bear chasing this dancing powder puff puncher around the ring to no avail and what it would do to his reputation.

He says he injured his shoulder and could no longer continue,But Liston at his peak would have continued if he knew he had a shot at winning,He had battled on through serious injuries in the past,Far worse than shoulder injuries.

It was a sad end to a misunderstood and unappreciated champion.Sonny Liston at his peak was a bad man with alot more than just a jab and a great power,He wasn't a brawler that demolished a great in Floyd Patterson twice in less than five minutes,He was a well rounded fighter who was tough as nails and had the most intimidating stare in human history.

God Bless the big bear....Charles "Sonny" Liston.
                    Agree the only world champ not to a home coming parade in his hometown.

But Clay carried a beautifull art into the ring as in previous bouts over the years, Corbett/Sullivan & Tunney,Dempsey to name a few, he simply done what boxing is an art of in not getting hit & then exploited Sonny with shots straight down the middle.
                    I agree totally the embarrassment was too much, he continued with a broken jaw in 1 fight so shoulder an excuse, if he continued his face would be destroyed if it wasn't already bad enough he be stopped or KO'D, only need to look at the rematch when he was caught when he got off the floor he was still on shaky legs like a baby giraffe & Ali was going to take him out & we had the Ring & Walcott stop the fight.

Shame people don't respect a man that deserved his parade at least, all he was a man of his times.

Comment

Working...
                    X