No announcement yet.

strength on the inside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strength on the inside

hi guys i need some help on this, yesterday i was sparring and when a fighter is on the inside of me i can push them off or turn them around and return to using my long reach, but when i was sparring i wasn't able to do this as i felt i had less strength. so i jsut wanted to know what are some good ways to improve my strength on the inside?

thanks

Comment

i tried coming in at the bag, with momentum, and after my combo dropping my weight and pushing it off, then hitting or id hold one side and hit with the other a la hopkins.. im sure i looked like a fool though but cant wait to try it in sparring. hope it doesnt put my partner into fight mode, you can push off with your head or your shoulders.

Comment

Perhaps some judo classes are in order. You should not be pushing against them, you should be pushing with them. Force redirection is an important element of inside fighting.

The fact of the matter is that there will always be someone stronger than you. Learn to use that strength to your advantage.

Comment

Strong legs in particular will help you move people on the inside. Pistols, squats, sprints, hamstring exercises and calf exercises will all help. Also just using your center of gravity will help, the lower your center is the harder it is to move you and the more your under his center the easier it is to move them. Thats something you learn in wrestling and I guess in judo too, although I cant speak from experience there (in judo).

Comment

You do not need judo classes! WTF, how many top fighters have you heard doing that? Another crap peice of advice from the forums bum. If the guy went any slower, he would come to a standstill. His fight vid was pathetic so don't listen to him unless you want to be a bum like him too. What you need to do it practice and get comfortable with them difficult situations by continuing the sparring. You will get there if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              Perhaps some judo classes are in order. You should not be pushing against them, you should be pushing with them. Force redirection is an important element of inside fighting.

The fact of the matter is that there will always be someone stronger than you. Learn to use that strength to your advantage.
              Exactly, I happen to be a strong inside fighter myself. But, there was this one tournament I was in and I remember my coach instructing me to not spend too much time on the inside with the guy as the guy liked to wrestle and hit ala Hatton style. Guess what I did, I tried to outwrestle and hit the guy and guess who won, the other guy.

In a way, I couldn't help myself, 'cause prior to this fight, I've usually won the battle on the inside, so there was no reason for me to think that I couldn't do the same to this particular opponent. I held my own, but down the stretch he simply took the energy out of me 'cause the f**ker was strong as a bull, just grabbin' and fighting to get into position tired me out.

There's comes a time that a fighter has to look for other ways if plan A ain't workin'. So to the thread starter, one word of advice, learn how to adjust, if you can't beat 'em one way, find another.
              Last edited by We want Floyd; 11-10-2008, 02:00 AM.

Comment

I love inside fighting,I am as of yet still and amateur(of course,only 16 yrs old)But its my faveorite place to be,even with my long arms and reach I feel most comfortable throwing short,explosive inside punches,and so far they are very effective.It has to do alot with the form of your punches,and contrary to popular belief,extremely large muscles arent good for as much as people say they are.Get with a trainer in your area or go to a gym,or even look onling how to imrpove the form in your punches,and then practice on the bag before you go on live targets.

Comment

Practice makes perfect.

Comment

you dont need any of this pushing off the bag,judo bs.

however i take judo back, this technique is similar to judo. you grapple with a guy in the centre of the ring, preferably larger person, and you both push against eachother to the other side of the ropes. this really improoves your strenght.

Comment

Working...
                    X