Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternatives for boxing cardio besides running? And tips for my amateur debut

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives for boxing cardio besides running? And tips for my amateur debut

I've been running 3 miles prettt much daily for the past 3 years. But lately my shins have been extremely sore so I've had to cut it down. I train boxing twice a week, 2 hour sessions and I plan on making my amateur debut in 8 weeks. Could anyone recommend me any effective alternatives to running and if you have any tips for in the ring I'll be grateful.

Update: So 8 weeks later..I made my debut last night in front of a couple of hundred people, I have managed to get some footage of my fight and I'd love to hear your opinions and also how I could improve. We were both knackered so form is pretty terrible but it was definitely good experience , I'm the Southpaw in the red corner:

Round 2 - https://youtu.be/zeRViG3povs
    Round 3 - https://youtu.be/-aVQxF5YIBM
    Last edited by SalimShady1212; 03-28-2017, 06:37 PM.

Find a stair climber or a rope. I rarely ran 'miles' because of deteriorating knees. And increase your sparring.

You have a small hill near your house? .............
    Last edited by Rockin'; 01-27-2017, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Find a stair climber or a rope. I rarely ran 'miles' because of deteriorating knees. And increase your sparring.

You have a small hill near your house? .............
      Thank you and yes I do have a hill, considering hill sprints as they're less repetitive in comparison to normal running. And certainly do want to increase my sparring, only annoying thing is I'm around 135 and my sparring partners are all 160+ as we don't have many small dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
        Thank you and yes I do have a hill, considering hill sprints as they're less repetitive in comparison to normal running. And certainly do want to increase my sparring, only annoying thing is I'm around 135 and my sparring partners are all 160+ as we don't have many small dudes.
        No running.

Ge.t to the bottom of that hill. Go up the hill, not running but rather shuffling side to side as you would while working around the ring. So basically your working up the hill side ways shuffling as you would move in a ring. Get to the top of the hill, let some proper punches fly and then shuffle down the hill. Get to the bottom, let some punches fly and then work your way back up. Do that for 10 minutes and then turn to face the other direction and do it all again. Do that for 10 minutes. Then turn backwards and go up and down throwing shots at the top and bottom. Then just jog up and down for 10 minutes.

Your **** will be dragging by the end of it but get those 10 minutes on each side, 10 minutes front and back.

In a few days you will be able to walk normal again, get back out there and work though, through the pain and such.

Do that 5 days a week, rest 2 days in a row.

Your legs will be iron and you're working the cardio in a good way.

Doing this will keep you in the fight if you should get tagged and hurt. It will keep you standing, unless you really get wrecked with a shot.

What does every solid chined fighter have? Strong legs.

You'll also notice after time that you are much quicker on your feet.

Have fun, I did it all before you. I wouldn't tell you to do this unless I knew it was 'the ****'. And it's the ****. Oh yeah, stock up on Ben gay.

And you should not feel slighted by your sparring opponents weight advantage. I used to fight 147 and I was fighting with anybody who cared to get in with me. Heavyweights, Light heavies, Middleweight world champion, it didn't matter. Speed is the key and is the only the only door that you should open with the big guys. Get in, let your hands go and then take a side on your opponent. No straight movement back and forth. Get in, flurry and then get the hell out of the way. Speed is power, the power to do what you want and then get out the way...........
        Last edited by Rockin'; 01-27-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

No running.

Ge.t to the bottom of that hill. Go up the hill, not running but rather shuffling side to side as you would while working around the ring. So basically your working up the hill side ways shuffling as you would move in a ring. Get to the top of the hill, let some proper punches fly and then shuffle down the hill. Get to the bottom, let some punches fly and then work your way back up. Do that for 10 minutes and then turn to face the other direction and do it all again. Do that for 10 minutes. Then turn backwards and go up and down throwing shots at the top and bottom. Then just jog up and down for 10 minutes.

Your **** will be dragging by the end of it but get those 10 minutes on each side, 10 minutes front and back.

In a few days you will be able to walk normal again, get back out there and work though, through the pain and such.

Your legs will be iron and you're working the cardio in a good way.

Doing this will keep you in the fight if you should get tagged and hurt. It will keep you standing, unless you really get wrecked with a shot.

What does every solid chined fighter have? Strong legs.

You'll also notice after time that you are much quicker on your feet.

Have fun, I did it all before you. I wouldn't tell you to do this unless I knew it was 'the ****'. And it's the ****. Oh yeah, stock up on Ben gay........
          This sounds so gruelling I already want to cry but it sounds tremendously effective, I'll try my best to start asap and I appreciate the help. What do you think of the exercise bike? I've been doing that when I've been bored, should I just scrap it altogether?

Comment

This sounds so gruelling I already want to cry but it sounds tremendously effective, I'll try my best to start asap and I appreciate the help. What do you think of the exercise bike? I've been doing that when I've been bored, should I just scrap it altogether?
            A bike is ok for the cardio. I used it on my off days from the hill. But sparring is the best for cardio.

This is grueling, I got up to 15 minutes per side.
            If you make it 5 minutes per side to begin than you're doing great, but still push for 10 minutes per side, in time.

Your dawgs will be howling but you'll come out so strong. After your legs get used to this add 2 lb weights in each hand. And when you are going up and down keep those hands up by your face. Throw at the top and bottom of hill, other than that keep those hands up and in guard.

You'll probably curse my name after 5 minutes or so but don't you stop. Set a goal and concur it. You probably won't get 40 mins in to begin, but just push yourself man. In a few weeks you will love the new strength and the pain will just disappear. Go get it man, let me know how it went.

Don't forget to control your oxygen..........
            Last edited by Rockin'; 01-27-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

No running.

This sounds amazing, I might start doing this too

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
                This sounds amazing, I might start doing this too
                I highly advise that you guys get physicals before trying this.

HtotheZ wouldn't be Bobby would it?
                Last edited by Rockin'; 01-29-2017, 01:15 AM.

Comment

So 8 weeks later..I made my debut last night in front of a couple of hundred people, I have managed to get some footage of my fight and I'd love to hear your opinions and also how I could improve. We were both knackered so form is pretty terrible but it was definitely good experience , I'm the Southpaw in the red corner:

Comment

So 8 weeks later..I made my debut last night in front of a couple of hundred people, I have managed to get some footage of my fight and I'd love to hear your opinions and also how I could improve. We were both knackered so form is pretty terrible but it was definitely good experience , I'm the Southpaw in the red corner:

A bike is ok for the cardio. I used it on my off days from the hill. But sparring is the best for cardio.

This is grueling, I got up to 15 minutes per side.
                    If you make it 5 minutes per side to begin than you're doing great, but still push for 10 minutes per side, in time.

Your dawgs will be howling but you'll come out so strong. After your legs get used to this add 2 lb weights in each hand. And when you are going up and down keep those hands up by your face. Throw at the top and bottom of hill, other than that keep those hands up and in guard.

You'll probably curse my name after 5 minutes or so but don't you stop. Set a goal and concur it. You probably won't get 40 mins in to begin, but just push yourself man. In a few weeks you will love the new strength and the pain will just disappear. Go get it man, let me know how it went.

Don't forget to control your oxygen..........
                    Hello sir, I finally made my debut a couple of days ago and I was wondering if you could take a look and let me know what improvements you think I could make. I'd really appreciate it couldnt get hold of round 1 but links to round 2 and 3 are above

Comment

Working...
                    X