No announcement yet.

How good of a trainer was Lou Duva?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    I remember Al Certo for working with Buddy McGirt and making him a pretty damn good fighter.

Presumably Buddy is passing on that knowledge now that he is a trainer (although he has been hit and miss with some of the guys he trains.)
    Charley Goldman trained Marciano. I don't know where, or why I got Al Certo, and Lou Duva. Maybe they were just cornermen. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingnut712 View Post
      I remember Lou Duva getting beat up in the aftermath of Golota - Bowe I.
      If my memory is correct, Duva passed out after the fight. When they tried to carry him out in a stretcher, they dropped him. It was both comical and sad.

Anyone else remember this?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        If my memory is correct, Duva passed out after the fight. When they tried to carry him out in a stretcher, they dropped him. It was both comical and sad.

No Lou Duva did in fact get knocked out that night. The camera pans right as the guy is doing it. Golota runs out of the choas, and Lou got trapped in the corner, and knocked out. I see Lou almost falling off the stretcher, but they did not drop him.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingnut712 View Post
          No Lou Duva did in fact get knocked out that night. The camera pans right as the guy is doing it. Golota runs out of the choas, and Lou got trapped in the corner, and knocked out. I see Lou almost falling off the stretcher, but they did not drop him.
          Okay thanks. The aftermath of that fight was such a hot mess that my memory may be a little foggy.

Comment

Was he really the strategist though? The trainers/assistants around him were pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post

Yes! At the time it was scary because I thought he might have had a heart attack. But I believe he was inadvertently knocked unconscious from a blow.

I rememember Jim Lampley thanking Foreman for saving his ass lol. That whole scene was crazy and I'll never forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Was he really the strategist though? The trainers/assistants around him were pretty damn good.
                I recall George Benton claiming that Duva was never a trainer and that they used Benton and Ronnie Shields for strategy. At least that's what Benton claimed.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  I recall George Benton claiming that Duva was never a trainer and that they used Benton and Ronnie Shields for strategy. At least that's what Benton claimed.
                  I thought so. Definitely didn't seem like he was a strategist in the corner. And when you have George Benton on your team...I mean, really?

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    I thought so. Definitely didn't seem like he was a strategist in the corner. And when you have George Benton on your team...I mean, really?
                    Yeah, I used to love hearing Benton's instructions in the corner. He was always the main guy talking so I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth.

Comment

Holyfield, Whitaker, Meldrick Taylor, McCallum. enuf said.

Comment

Working...
                      X