No announcement yet.

Nonito Reminds Me of a Young Oscar De La Hoya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonito Reminds Me of a Young Oscar De La Hoya

I've said it in the past, his silhouette in the ring even resembles the 135-147lbs version of the Golden Boy. And his left hook is gold, much like Oscar's was.

Nonito was outgunned this weekend, but he fought with braveheart until the final punch.

After this weekend's fight, I can't help but to think back and wonder what would have happened, if Oscar would have fought the great Tito Trinidad with the same fortitude that Donaire exhibited versus The Axe Man.

I think Tito may have banged him out in similar fashion.

would be great if donaire had two arms, i think he would have beaten both rigo and walters

he couldn't land that counter left hook because walters was too long and although he had success countering with the straight right, nope, not his game had to go on the inside to try and load up the left hook

he's highly talented, but either not too sharp or very stubborn
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 10-20-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

oscar had a phonepole jab, and liked to dictate the pace. he was a boxer - puncher.

doniare like to look for spots to trade hooks. he was a counterpuncher.

i do not see the comparison. the only thing they have in common are all time great left hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        oscar had a phonepole jab, and liked to dictate the pace. he was a boxer - puncher.

doniare like to look for spots to trade hooks. he was a counterpuncher.

i do not see the comparison. the only thing they have in common are all time great left hooks.
        too true, too true

Comment

Donaire can't box for ****. Take away his left hook=ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
            would be great if donaire had two arms, i think he would have beaten both rigo and walters

he couldn't land that counter left hook because walters was too long and although he had success countering with the straight right, nope, not his game had to go on the inside to try and load up the left hook

he's highly talented, but either not too sharp or very stubborn

doniare had / has a hard right hand. he beat sidorenko up primarily with the left hook, but he landed good right hands as well.

the second thing that was brought to mind when i watched the video was the size. doniare was freaking gigantic at 118.

finally, when you look at a sharp donaire, at 118 and in his prime, you see how much he's deteriorated. the contrast in mental quickness, sharpness, accuracy, is pretty stark.
            Last edited by New England; 10-20-2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

No he doesn't.

No he doesn't. Oscar was a special talent who had heart and a lot of it. Donaire is just the opposite. You need to be more specific as to how Donaire reminds you of a young Oscar? Oscar showed his promise from the beginning. Donaire did not and when it got tough, he doubted himself.

Comment

Didn't say they fight the same or have similar styles. Just saying something about him resembles a young ODLH in the ring.

Big for their weight classes (early on), great left hooks, very good chins, poised in the ring.

Last edited by El Chicano; 10-20-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

donaire's career went downhill fast as soon as he married that pan faced karate whore.

check the timeline.

awful comparison btw. oscar threw combos and had a great double jab.

donaire is a wanna be pacquio who thought he could KO every opponent he faced and threw nothing but counter bombs instead of setting up his power punches.

garbage.

Comment

Anyway, if Oscar had chosen to stand and fight with a real punch in Tito Trinidad, do you think the same would have happened to him (what happened to Nonito vs Walters)?

I'm an Oscar fan, but he moved the way he did in that fight for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X