Vikings' Ray Edwards signs on for two-fight pro boxing stint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vikings' Ray Edwards signs on for two-fight pro boxing stint

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

Tom Zbikowski is blazing a path to the ring that other NFL players are now following.

Minnesota Vikings DE Ray Edwards became the latest footballer to sign up for a pro boxing gig on Tuesday. Edwards, 26. agreed to a two-fight stint with his debut coming on May 20 in Minnesota.

Ray Edward

"It's something I've always wanted to do in my life," Edwards told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

"I can't put my eggs all in one basket, waiting for the NFL to settle the lockout. You never know when this lockout is going to end."

Edwards and all other NFL players are prohibited from interacting with teams because of the lockout.

At 6-5, 268 pounds, he is due to earn $5,000 plus 50% of the gate revenue at his May 20 fight.

I would love to see him get KTFO.

Comment

Saw this, very exciting. The guys a great athlete, but Im skeptical that he has had enough training to be effective on a pro level.

He will probably just fight a bunch of journeymen until the season starts.

Comment

For those who havent seen Tom fight...

Last edited by 2501; 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWestGrand View Post
          By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

Tom Zbikowski is blazing a path to the ring that other NFL players are now following.

Minnesota Vikings DE Ray Edwards became the latest footballer to sign up for a pro boxing gig on Tuesday. Edwards, 26. agreed to a two-fight stint with his debut coming on May 20 in Minnesota.

Ray Edward

"It's something I've always wanted to do in my life," Edwards told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

"I can't put my eggs all in one basket, waiting for the NFL to settle the lockout. You never know when this lockout is going to end."

Edwards and all other NFL players are prohibited from interacting with teams because of the lockout.

At 6-5, 268 pounds, he is due to earn $5,000 plus 50% of the gate revenue at his May 20 fight.
          man you beat me to it
          I was just going to start a thead on it
          ahhha
          good job

Comment

Originally posted by Heebarican View Post
            I would love to see him get KTFO.
            why would say something like this?
            he is brining some needed attention to the HW division
            lets hope he knocks fools out and makes some noise

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
              why would say something like this?
              he is brining some needed attention to the HW division
              lets hope he knocks fools out and makes some noise
              No he's not. He's just another athlete from another sport who thinks he can walk into boxing. Ray Edwards fighting random journeyman during the lockout is not going to bring any noise to the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Heebarican View Post
                No he's not. He's just another athlete from another sport who thinks he can walk into boxing. Ray Edwards fighting random journeyman during the lockout is not going to bring any noise to the division.
                iTS ON ESPN
                ITS ON USA TODAY
                ITS NEWS
                YOU ACT LIKE HE SAID BOXING IS A JOKE AND IM GOING TO BE HEAVY WEIGHT CHAMP
                WHAT A TOOL BAG YOU ARE

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                  iTS ON ESPN
                  ITS ON USA TODAY
                  ITS NEWS
                  YOU ACT LIKE HE SAID BOXING IS A JOKE AND IM GOING TO BE HEAVY WEIGHT CHAMP
                  WHAT A TOOL BAG YOU ARE
                  Well, he did say in an interview he can be the greatest of all time. Anyway, so what if its on the news? How many people who read the articles do you think will actually watch any of his fights? Is Tommy Z attracting thousands of fans to watch him fight?

Comment

I dont have any problem whatsoever with guys from other sports trying out boxing. The only thing I dont like is when they feast on bums forever and call it a career. At least sort of try to step up in class eventually.

but, oh well, its fun to see freak fights like that. Im all for this NFL to boxing thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X