• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dick Buffman has legendary power.

Comment

Probably Joe Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        True, although many of those KO's were in the deep South against dubious opposition.
        From my understanding of the little I have read, he traveled across the country gaining experience by fighting the local champions of cities and towns. I don't see this as any different than Jimmy Wilde taking on anyone whatsoever as a carnival attraction. It was about gaining experience and making money during a tough period.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          From my understanding of the little I have read, he traveled across the country gaining experience by fighting the local champions of cities and towns. I don't see this as any different than Jimmy Wilde taking on anyone whatsoever as a carnival attraction. It was about gaining experience and making money during a tough period.
          My point is that Stribling's competition for the most part far below that of Moore or Saddler. Stribling was (carefully) managed by his mother. Sean O'Grady followed the same pattern years later while being promoted by his father. He fought stiffs on the Oklahoma circuit, sometimes multiple times with the opponents using different names. But one thing both fighters had was legit talent when given the chance to show it.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            Valero was a heavy handed hype job who's best win is over an over rated Antonio DeMarco, who himself was never very good. Valero was inaccurate and seemed to overthrow.

A guy like Prince Naseem hit much harder than Valero, with more accuracy, and he got his punches off much quicker. You could see Valero's punches coming, but he never fought anybody good that could expose him.

I agree that he does not belong in this conversation at all.
            LOL everybody is a hype job when they die before there first big fight

Also Antonio Pitlua still hasn't been down since he fought Valero. I am a huge Hamed fan and he didn't even come close to Valero in the power department

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              LOL everybody is a hype job when they die before there first big fight

Also Antonio Pitlua still hasn't been down since he fought Valero. I am a huge Hamed fan and he didn't even come close to Valero in the power department

I'm not so sure about that. I am sure that Hamed knocked out elite competition convincingly. Something Valero never did or had a chance to do

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

I'm not so sure about that. I am sure that Hamed knocked out elite competition convincingly. Something Valero never did or had a chance to do

Pitlua has an elite chin and he put him down in 2

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  Pitlua has an elite chin and he put him down in 2
                  I liked Valero (as a fighter), and it was an impressive win, but nothing about Pitulua was elite. Hamed KO'd world champions.

Comment

I liked Valero (as a fighter), and it was an impressive win, but nothing about Pitulua was elite. Hamed KO'd world champions.

Pitlua definitely isnt an elite fighter but he has over 50 fights and said he hadn't been knocked down since the 90s that to me gives him an elite chin. Oh and they were fighting for the WBC lightweight strap

Comment

My point is that Stribling's competition for the most part far below that of Moore or Saddler. Stribling was (carefully) managed by his mother. Sean O'Grady followed the same pattern years later while being promoted by his father. He fought stiffs on the Oklahoma circuit, sometimes multiple times with the opponents using different names. But one thing both fighters had was legit talent when given the chance to show it.

Fair enough. I think it would be foolish to argue with this reasoning.

Comment

Working...
                      X