No announcement yet.

Greatest puncher of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest puncher of all time?

In a pound for pound sense, who do you think was the greatest? Or name a few of the great punchers. Langford and Ketchel immediately spring to mind for me.

Robinson, Louis, Hearns or your suggestions.

Comment

Julian Jackson!

Which leads me nicely onto Gerald McClellan; both absolutely murderous punchers.

Comment

Joe Louis...

Comment

The "greatest" puncher as in who was the puncher that achieved the most ?, Sam Langford, Ray Robinson or Joe Louis , or do you mean who was the hardest puncher p4p ?, which imo would be a tough choice between Jackson or Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            The "greatest" puncher as in who was the puncher that achieved the most ?, Sam Langford, Ray Robinson or Joe Louis , or do you mean who was the hardest puncher p4p ?, which imo would be a tough choice between Jackson or Hearns.
            I was originally thinking the former but whatever suits your fancy, I think Jackson was probably a harder puncher than Hearns, I think Mclellan can join the discussion with those 2 aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              Robinson, Louis, Hearns or your suggestions.
              Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              Joe Louis...
              In terms or technique and precision I think hes the perfect puncher, when I think in my head of how a power punch is meant to be thrown I always think of him.

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby
              Just power Edwin Valero

Overall (accuracy timing angles power speed "2 handedness" etc) Roy Jones Jr or Meldrick Taylor.
              This is about power not speed but I'd agree if it was speed and Taylor had average power. Valero was a big puncher no doubt but we never got to see his power get tested against world class competition, I don't think he should be mentioned alongside great punchers like Louis, Jackson, Hearns etc.

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
              Julian Jackson!

Which leads me nicely onto Gerald McClellan; both absolutely murderous punchers.
              Good calls, the Gman and Jackson were insanely strong punchers.

Comment

Mike Tyson in my opinion had the best combination of handspeed, power in both hands, technique, combination's and overall punching ability.

Comment

P4P I would say Prince Naseem Hamed. While I've only seen 7 of his fights, I am convinced of this based on his hitting ability from all angles despite having to face some very quick opponents. The power that came from both hands was just amazing.

Back in the 70s Ernie Shavers was acknowledged as the hardest hitting HW of all time. However, I would say Iron Mike Tyson hit harder and had more hand speed.

Comment

Lots of good choices available, but Julian Jackson and Ernie Shavers are the epitome of pure punchers (if that's what you're looking for).

And whether you remember watching him or just examine his record, Danny "Little Red" Lopez deserves consideration. He put a lot of opponents to sleep with just one right cross.

Comment

Working...
                    X