Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward's Perspective on Role Race Plays in How He is Covered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Andre "sulky face" Ward! He does have fans, he's rich, and most everyone in the boxing world recognizes his talent. Where's the problem? The problem is the general public don't like his style and his attitude. For a reason: he grabs and holds and he always whines!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
      It's because Ward is ugly not necessarily because he is black.

An ugly face always makes people have a negative pre conception of you. But it's not Ward's fault though.
      And black people have been portrayed as ugly since the very beginning of the film industry when the movie that celebrated the mighty Ku Kluks Klan "Birth of a Nation" was released. Racist people don't dislike black people because of the color of their skin they dislike us because we're ugly and look like apes. Right? You basically admitted that you don't like the guy because superficial shallow and ignorant reasons. Which is the same as being racially prejudiced.
      If Andre Ward is so ugly does that make Kovalev some kind of heart throb? Is Manny Pacquiao a sex symbol? Is Gennady Golovkin some kind of hunk? Are you a female or gay male, by the way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Yea, it's funny as to why the soft-spoken, but confident individual catches all the flack but the abrasive one who has shown himself to be a racist on more than one occasion is coddled and has excuses made for him. And, I don't even think it's all about race. Boxing fans just adore the aggressive, loud ones, and generally show more allegiance to them, regardless of color.

I'm a fan of both but when Kovalev says stupid stuff, it's always excused. Ward says stupid things and people go apeshyt.
        Ward rarely ever says anything stupid. And thats why people say he is "smug".

Comment

• Every thread turns into a race issue some how some way but anytime its addressed people try to convince themselves race is not an issue. smh come on guys

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaolin Sword View Post
            you sound paranoid dude.
            People that try to pretend racism doesn't exist are racist.

Comment

• Cry me a f'ing river..holla at me when you have the Skillset of a Pernell Whittaker and can't even get a network deal. When these fighters from this class of boxing get to whining about the media they should go hit up all those great boxers from the 70's, 80s, and 90s who never got 10% of the respect they should've had. I'm sure all of them would love to have 25% of the attention Ward gets in the sport..oh and none of them took 3 1/2 years off and then expected to walk back into the sport to a parade. Get over yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdp28tx View Post
                Ward is not liked because his character not his skin color. And I could give dozens of examples of what a jerk he is, but I don't have the time. And the theory theory that Americans rather root for a Russian than an Olympic gold medal winning black guy, its just pain ludicrous. Hell the reason he was given that gift over Kovalev was because of anti-Russian sentiment. He was given the victory precisely because he was the American gold medal winner. Before I am accused of racism my fav fighters are Hagler, Norris, and Toney. 3 fighter who never made excuses and only fought the best.

For the ignorant out there who always claim racism, Eastern Europeans and Russians have been dumped on and treated like an inferior race of peoples for centuries. Just look at the things the Germans always said about Russians. Just check your history with the French in the 19th c. and the Germans in the 20th c. The British and Americans have the same opinions about the Russian people, that they are inferior. One just has to go back to last year and listen to the hateful things Obama said about the Russian people. Insulting them, calling them names, calling them an insignificant people, on and on. And this is a black president looking down on the Russian people. So this garbage that that Kovalev or even GGG are only liked because they are white is an opinion based out of ignorance and the complete lack of understanding about Eastern Europe, Western Europe and America.
                nice alt

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
                  Or we can think about this in a more rational way. Most people thought Kovalev won. I can state with confidence that Youtube boxing commentors are casuals. All casuals thought Kovalev won. They wouldn't listen to the words of a guy that "robbed" the other.
                  "Rational" huh? In a world that has been conquered by Europeans the most irrational thing you could do is try to pretend that racism does not exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by peplz View Post
                    People that try to pretend racism doesn't exist are racist.
                    for the most part

Comment

• Oh how I love these types of threads...

Comment

Working...
                      X