No announcement yet.

Top rank signs Denis Shafikov

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Karo Murat was the mandatory first, before Kovalev. Kovalev only moved into that spot when Murat had visa issues.

And GBP signed to fight Murat only after Kovalev signed to fight Cleverly.

Lastly, Shafikov had been fighting at 140 for years then suddenly moved down to 135 and called out Broner out of the blue. There's no way he was in the mix to get that bout.

This is how it went - Murat mandatory - Hopkins team prepared to sign

Kovalev becomes mandatory - Schafer -"he's too unknown. Showtime might not be interested" - meanwhile Hopkins at the time Kovalev became mandatory "he should fight hop and I should fight Stevenson then we'll unify"

Kovalev signs with Clev because Kathy duva feels they will vacate and Kovalev stated he wants to beat the champ...

What happens next? ............ Hopkins-Murat back on! (Murat must not be too unknown?"

The point is Kovalev became mandatory, and he was too "unknown" to fight hop, yet Murat who is absolutely 100% more "unknown" was okay as an opponent. Yes after Kovalev signed with Clev but showtime and GBP both let it publicly known they wanted absolutely nothing to do with him and weren't interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
      Good hopefully he can get some exposure..I really like this guy,I'm ready to see him step up tbh..Did he move back down to 135lb,or is he going to get in the mix at 140lb..
      He moved down to 135 for his last fight but I'm not sure and I don't know if it's been said what weight he will make his Top Rank debut at.

He was ranked #1 and next in line for Lamont Peterson at 140 before moving down.

I think 135 is a better weight for him personally, he's not a big guy and I think he would be very strong at the lower weight

Comment

Working...
      X