No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a fighter from the past that reminds you of Jone"s Jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there ever been a fighter from the past that reminds you of Jone"s Jr

This guy to me has a unique style. He was unorthodox hard to hit and seeming could land hard shots a will.

Dirrell for speed... Martinez for style, a bit of Pascal.

To really answer the question.... no.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
      Dirrell for speed... Martinez for style, a bit of Pascal.

To really answer the question.... no.
      Yes he was unique.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        This guy to me has a unique style. He was unorthodox hard to hit and seeming could land hard shots a will.
        Its not difficult to see Roy Jones Jnr's influences. His double and triple left hooking was Robinson 'esque'. His combinations remind me a bit of Ray Leonard and Meldrick Taylor. His showboating was very much in the vein of a playful Ray Leonard.....

His work off the ropes was no doubt influenced in part by Ali and Jersey Joe Walcott. In fact, His footwork and crafty traps remind me a touch of Jersey Joe Walcott too. I have heard him referred to by Jones as an influence.

There are a few Larry Holmes like defensive moves in there too.

Terrific boxer at his best, perhaps the best I've seen.......

Comment

Those bolo punches remind me of Ray Leonard and Kid Gavilan too, especially the one in the above clip. Better yet, where does Roy rank at light heavy all-time? What about middle or super middle? Very dominant at light heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Those bolo punches remind me of Ray Leonard and Kid Gavilan too, especially the one in the above clip. Better yet, where does Roy rank at light heavy all-time? What about middle or super middle? Very dominant at light heavy.
            I wonder over time if he will become more appreciated for the talent he was.

Comment

Jones? I know I started to appreciate him more recently. I used to think he wasn't fighting anybody good, but now it seems more like he was just that much better than most of his competition in his prime. A great, athletic, natural talent.

Comment

I saw a Charley Burley video on youtube and thought to myself RRJ has a strikingly similar style, maybe thats why they were both so hard to beat in their primes

Comment

no...................... but roy reminds me a lot of the great charlie Z

Comment

Gavilan, Burley, Leonard and Holmes are all good calls, and maybe Joe Gans but even a combination of all those fighters makes him very unique

First time i saw him i thought, wow Herol Graham with power, but Graham was a southpaw.

Comment

Working...
                    X