No announcement yet.

Looking back on: Pernell Whitaker vs. Diosbelys Hurtado

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back on: Pernell Whitaker vs. Diosbelys Hurtado

Hurtado knocked Pernell down two times, then Hurtado lost two points which nullified the knockdowns, then Pernell lost a point for 'punching in the back of the head'. So it was a pretty neck and neck matchup until Whitaker scored a devastating knockout. Looks like Arthur Mercante Jr. didn't know what he was doing back then either!

@ 8:00

Any thoughts on this match?

This was right before the Oscar bout no? I only have a faint memory of this bout but I will watch the vid now.

Comment

Arthur Mercante Jr. and Laurence Cole are neck and neck for worst refs in the business. I agree with the deduction for hitting behind the head by Pea.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
        This was right before the Oscar bout no? I only have a faint memory of this bout but I will watch the vid now.
        Yeah this was before Whitaker-De La Hoya.

Comment

That body punch at 7:30 won Pernell the fight. It hurt...ado

Comment

I love this fight. It's one of my favorite fights of all time.

Whitaker beat the **** out of him. Those left hands, that fight is one fight where the ref should have jumped in earlier. Even Pernell thought about stopping but the ref never looked like he was gonna jump in to stop it, so he continued to hit him. He said it on the Ringside tv show.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
              Yep! I remember the look on Oscar's face before the KO...He could see the money flying out the window.

Pea looked bad in that fight. Hurtado was a good fighter too! He had speed, power, but no chin to speak of.

Edit: Not saying he didn't have a chin cause of this fight, casue Pea caught him clean as hell if I remember correctly. In other fights he had, he would be winning, then get KO'ed.

Comment

Hurtado had that ability to create knockdowns cause his style, he did the same to Tszyu if I remember correctly and other fighters. Pernell did what he had to do and came out of character to put this guy away, he was getting hit alot. It was a suprising fun fight

Comment

Pea was slipping but I thought he beat DLH. DLH missed so many of his punches.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    I love this fight. It's one of my favorite fights of all time.

Whitaker beat the **** out of him. Those left hands, that fight is one fight where the ref should have jumped in earlier. Even Pernell thought about stopping but the ref never looked like he was gonna jump in to stop it, so he continued to hit him. He said it on the Ringside tv show.
                    Yeah I can tell Pernell didn't want to hit him all the times he did but the referee wasn't coming in to stop it.

Bad job on Mercante's part.

Comment

Working...
                    X