Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Adonis Stevenson-Thomas Williams Set Down for July 16, Quebec

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by truestory1987 View Post
    Adonis just tweeted this : "My next fight will be on July 16 against Thomas Williams in the province of Quebec"
    I have never seen a fighter who was so good at strategically avoiding quality competition as Stevenson. I am not talking about Kovalev because I think that is the only fight he sincerely tried to make. However, there is no excuse for fighting the bum of the month instead of Pascal, Hopkins, Fonfara II or another quality opponent as Stevenson has done over the last two years.

He will probably make a fool out of himself again and jump in the ring after the Kovalev/Ward fight and challenge the winner. Making a fool out of himself seems the be Stevenson's best skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Because Main Event seems more than happy to **** their own fighter out of money; 25% of the payout to defend his two belts against Hopkins, ~50% of the pot to the WBC mandatory contender, to travel to said contender's hometown and venue, ~50% of the pot to go back to the same fighter's hometown, after knocking them out, to give a rematch, etc.

Stevenson is 37 year old, GYM has the lock on on of boxing's best markets, and Stevenson is the outright holder of the lineal championship at 175lbs. He's is position to negotiate, and his camp takes advantage of that position, unlike Main Events.

He isn't in a position to negotiate ****. He sells no tickets, does terrible ratings and his rep has been in the gutter for the last two years. Ducking and pricing himself out of several fights doesn't make him the A-side, it just makes him a coward.

Literally no one cares anymore beyond the occasional dig/joke at his expense. He's a glorified punchline.

Originally posted by Superbee View Post
      Say What ?

Chilemba beat Alvarez.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
        He isn't in a position to negotiate ****. He sells no tickets, does terrible ratings and his rep has been in the gutter for the last two years. Ducking and pricing himself out of several fights doesn't make him the A-side, it just makes him a coward.

Literally no one cares anymore beyond the occasional dig/joke at his expense. He's a glorified punchline.

Chilemba beat Alvarez.
        Daniel Jacobs is America's best middleweight fighter, a top 5 middleweight in the world, a truly feel-good story (going from rising prospect to near death to rising back to the top of the sport), and has one of boxing's premier venues in his home borough, where he's setup shop and has been adopted as one of Brooklyn's champions.

If you want to ignore that, that's on you.

Comment

Boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Stevenson has done the most impressive job of delving into obscurity while still winning fights than anyone since Hector Camacho I think. Amazing. I guess he's still popular in Canada doe so good for him.
            Hahahahaha, 99 out of 100 Canadians would not know who he is if they were standing next to him. Maybe he is a little well known in Montreal, but as a Torontonian trust me, he is not known by anyone other then die hard fight fans, boxing is very niche sport across Canada once you are outside of Quebec.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              Daniel Jacobs is America's best middleweight fighter, a top 5 middleweight in the world, a truly feel-good story (going from rising prospect to near death to rising back to the top of the sport), and has one of boxing's premier venues in his home borough, where he's setup shop and has been adopted as one of Brooklyn's champions.

If you want to ignore that, that's on you.

That's great, but we're talking about Adonis Stevenson.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
                That's great, but we're talking about Adonis Stevenson.
                My mistake, but Stevenson's case is even clearer than Jacobs' case would be.

Stevenson walks into any fight negotiation with Montreal and Canadian PPV on his side of the ledger.

Sergey Kovalev, almost literally, sells no tickets anywhere on the planet, yet you want to talk about Stevenson's ability to sell tickets?

Kovalev has helped things for himself by taking the short money in fighting Hopkins and giving Pascal more money than he deserved to fight him in Pascal's hometown, but none of that changes the reality that, were negotiations to ever happen, Kovalev is still on the short end of the table when compared to Stevenson.

It's the reason why Duva was forced to run from the purse bid that she called for, and it's the reason why a fight on HBO (which Stevenson's camp was open to) fell to **** when Yvon Michel asked Duva to guarantee more of the money that she seemed to be promising in the talks (for a fight on HBO PPV and potentially in a market where neither fighter has ever been a draw, ignoring the only market where both fighters have been a part of events that have actually done live gate business).

Comment

Adonisa is wasting his prime fighting nobodies for no big $. The only $ fights are Kovalev and Ward if he beats Kovalev. If he was pulling a Canelo making huge$ little risk like Kahn fight that's one thing. Everyone is forgetting about him and newbies never heard of him either soft or worst mgmt ever. Sucker

Comment

Adonis Stevenson...the most hated fighter in the sport.

Has to be the least liked of any of the 'big-name' fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X