Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Mercy -- a movie that many here should watch!...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Mercy -- a movie that many here should watch!...

A true-story, "Just Mercy" follows young lawyer Bryan Stevenson (Jordan) and his history-making battle for justice. After graduating from Harvard, Bryan might have had his pick of lucrative jobs. Instead, he heads to Alabama to defend those wrongly condemned. One of his first, and most incendiary, cases is that of Walter McMillian (Foxx,) who, in 1987, was sentenced to die for the notorious murder of an 18-year-old girl, despite a preponderance of evidence proving his innocence and the fact that the only testimony against him came from a criminal with a motive to lie.

... this is from a 1992 Ed Bradley's "60 Minutes" show on CBS News...

Last edited by MDPopescu; 02-08-2020, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Prior to DNA, a lot of cases were suspect. Many people were proven wrongfully convicted. Many people were put to death wrongfully.

One study estimated that up to 10,000 people may be wrongfully convicted of serious crimes each year. A 2014 study estimated that 4.1% of inmates awaiting execution on death row in the United States are innocent, and that at least 340 innocent people may have been executed since 1973.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-prison-racism

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
        Prior to DNA, a lot of cases were suspect. Many people were proven wrongfully convicted. Many people were put to death wrongfully.

One study estimated that up to 10,000 people may be wrongfully convicted of serious crimes each year. A 2014 study estimated that 4.1% of inmates awaiting execution on death row in the United States are innocent, and that at least 340 innocent people may have been executed since 1973.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-prison-racism
        ... You don't have to convince me... (that's why I posted this here... a good movie is more convincing than all percentages in studies...)

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          ... You don't have to convince me... (that's why I posted this here... a good movie is more convincing than all percentages in studies...)
          Shame I don't care for the actors.

Comment

Shame I don't care for the actors.
            ... You don't have to... but don't tell me that you don't care about Bryan Stevenson's work...

Comment

... You don't have to... but don't tell me that you don't care about Bryan Stevenson's work...
              All those who dedicate their professional lives exonerating the wrongfully incarcerated get the Hero Stamp of Approval from me.

Comment

All those who dedicate their professional lives exonerating the wrongfully incarcerated get the Hero Stamp of Approval from me.
                ... and Bryan Stevenson really is such a hero... (many should follow his path...)

Comment

... and Bryan Stevenson really is a hero... (many should follow his path...)
                  Many do
                  https://www.innocenceproject.org/about/

There's room for more than 1 hero. In fact, it's essential.

Comment

... and Bryan Stevenson really is such a hero... (many should follow his path...)
                    I take it Mr Stevenson didn't have a say in who portrayed him

Comment

Working...
                    X