No announcement yet.

Acceptable price for PPV?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
    4K television sets are cheaper nowadays than they were 2 years ago. Almost everybody is buying a new set. That's just American TV culture. For those that don't want to buy a new TV can go to a friend's or family's home to watch a particular event in better resolution. Those people might not know the technical jargin about HD or 4K, but what they do know is, the instant quality of today's sets. Therefore, when a particular individual whether to brag or not invites his family or friends to watch an event, the pride in hosting it justifies he or she purchasing the event. He or she can also buy beer and food, OR, people will bring and share knowing he or she purchased the PPV event.

MOre importantly, if GBP and their Mexican star know that the can sell PPV at $65 bucks during ethnic holiday weekends that are unique to them, why does anybody else care? If it were $40 bucks like others say, then the difference of Mexican pride to add $25 more bucks is really a problem? Alvarez vs Smith was also $55 bucks for non HD, which is still a 720 stream. "HD" is 1080p provided by most cable providers. 4K bandwidth should hit soon by the end of next year.

Did I elaborate enough?
    Thanks for elaborating, though you're really just building a straw man and not actually justifying anything. The extra HD cost for May-PAC I didn't really find justifiable since HD tv broadcasting has been around for a good while now. That's conjecture on my part but I'll try to find evidence for/against it.

Irrelevant either way, because the base rate at standard resolution without the added HD or 4K is still pretty high. What about people whose friends or family don't have an interest in boxing? Your argument is that they should pay because, because.

As boxing is a sport we all follow and invest our time and money into, I think it's ok to have an opinion on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Kewl Hair View Post
      Thanks for elaborating, though you're really just building a straw man and not actually justifying anything. The extra HD cost for May-PAC I didn't really find justifiable since HD tv broadcasting has been around for a good while now. That's conjecture on my part but I'll try to find evidence for/against it.

Irrelevant either way, because the base rate at standard resolution without the added HD or 4K is still pretty high. What about people whose friends or family don't have an interest in boxing? Your argument is that they should pay because, because.

As boxing is a sport we all follow and invest our time and money into, I think it's ok to have an opinion on it.
      your context was $65 dollars and I gave you the answer regarding the "Mexican" event and which demographic it was targeted to considering September.

and there is no 4K resolution stream yet, not in HBO boxing. the stream is in 1080p and the TV just upscales the resolution. true 4K streams are plentiful to watch. When HBO gets those 4K sony cams mounted on their cameraman from each corner you'll see the noticeable difference.

The best platform to have shown the best resolution possible was Thurman vs Porter. The quality of production was crisp it even looked vivid on non Full HD sets.

speaking of irrelevance, May vs Pac has nothing to do with the way GBP chooses to price for a $55 "non HD" or $65 HD stream. It's all marketing gimmicks. the $55 stream would still look good. HBO protocol

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        i'm OK with paying £15 occasionally for a good event. i would consider £20 a stretch

if i lived in america i wouldn't order PPVs ever
        Pretty much this.

I think May/Pac was 20 quid over here and with all the people we had gathered, it cost less than a pound each lol

In the US, PPV prices are inflated because people are stupid enough to pay it.

Comment

Max 29.99$ with a partial refund clause if I don't like the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
            Max 29.99$ with a partial refund clause if I don't like the fight.
            This. If I don't see at least 3-5 d*ck punches or nip slips from the ring girls, you should be obliged to a full refund.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Pretty much this.

I think May/Pac was 20 quid over here and with all the people we had gathered, it cost less than a pound each lol

In the US, PPV prices are inflated because people are stupid enough to pay it.
              Yeah well UK commentary vs HBO or Showtime commentary? Worst stuff I've heard in a long time was Marv Albert on PBC such as the Quillin Lee bout... utter trash like UK commentary. Just keeping it real.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                I wish all PPV's would be 40$

That's fair for me.
                This is how I feel. Every time a PPV fight is a few hours away and it's for a fight that I haven't deemed important enough to already have ordered and ready, I always find myself thinking if it was just $40 I'd buy it. Not like it's a matter of not being able to afford it, but $40 is just my **** it I'll pay instead of watching a shaky stream number I guess. I'd probably buy every PPV if they were all $40, as opposed to now when I pick and choose which are important enough to buy and which ones I'd rather stream.

Comment

Anything over £15 can get ****ed.

I look at it like this; I already pay Sky Sports, BoxNation and BT Sports subscriptions (£65 per month), having to pay extra to see big fights is an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Kewl Hair View Post
                    This. If I don't see at least 3-5 d*ck punches or nip slips from the ring girls, you should be obliged to a full refund.
                    Ain't no doubt.

Comment

I have never bought a fight in my life and I am a huge fight fan. All the PFV fights are on HBO or Showtime and I already pay for both channels on direct TV. They always show even the biggest PFV fights for free a week after the live fight including the Pac-Mayweather fight. I will never pay $50 to $85 to see the fight live when I can see the same fight for free a week later.

Comment

Working...
                      X