when did weigh in system change?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when did weigh in system change?

when did night-before weigh ins start??
    wouldnt we have to rank/compare the weightclasses of oldschool fighters with differnet weightclasses of modern fighters? but then u gotta factor in the possibility of being less functional for the rehydration?
    aoidfjasdifajdoijaoij

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    when did night-before weigh ins start??
    The cancellation of the July, 1983 HBO funded Spinks-Muhammad LHW title fight, where the company lost a six figure amount, is usually pointed to as the catalyst.

Hagler had same day weigh-ins for Roldan defense, Mar 1984 and Hearns, Apr 1985.

I know Holmes-Spinks, Sep 1985, had night-before weigh-in, but couldn't pinpoint the first contest, title or otherwise to initiation modern procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
      The cancellation of the July, 1983 HBO funded Spinks-Muhammad LHW title fight, where the company lost a six figure amount, is usually pointed to as the catalyst.

Hagler had same day weigh-ins for Roldan defense, Mar 1984 and Hearns, Apr 1985.

I know Holmes-Spinks, Sep 1985, had night-before weigh-in, but couldn't pinpoint the first contest, title or otherwise to initiation modern procedure.
      thanks, thats interesting.
      so the switch was made sometime in the mid 80s hmm.. coincidences?

Comment

They said they were doing it for safety. But I believe it backfired and it didn't reduce injuries.

Comment

It made fighters sweat more, not less.

Comment

Originally posted by bowl View Post
            They said they were doing it for safety. But I believe it backfired and it didn't reduce injuries.
            Flip Homansky regrets it and wishes boxing would go back to same day weigh-ins.

I'm with him on that.

Comment

Working...
            X