No announcement yet.

tyson number system and combinations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GymRat View Post
    It allowed his trainer to call out various combinations during a fight and from repeated practice of hitting those numbers it became second nature for him to be able to execute any combination without thinking about it, making him a faster and more intelligent fighter, as well as the fact that a Tyson opponent wouldn't understand when Kevin Rooney would yell "Mike, 7, 2, 5, 2" as opposed to the lengthy, understood-by-all, and infective "Mike, jab, right hand, left hook to body, right hand." As for why the numbers are different from the traditional "1, 2, 3, and 4", it's because there are more than four punches in boxing and if a trainer yells "1, 2, 3", to his fighter, then the opponent is going to know what to expect.

Next time if ever a picture is posted of Mike next to a silver car, make sure your Tyson hate is boiling and you ask and make a big deal about what the tactical advantage of silver would be over any other color.
    My question had nothing to do with my hatred of Tyson. It simply seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. Yes, there are more than four punches in boxing... that's why "5,6,7,8" refer to the same four punches, but to the body.

Again, I ask, what's the number for a straight right hand to the body?

All of this just interests me. I've never been in a tournament where my trainer or anyone was allowed to yell at me during the round (I think it may be a USA Boxing rule), so I've never gotten into any kind of numbering system. I win all my fights with the jab anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      My question had nothing to do with my hatred of Tyson. It simply seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. Yes, there are more than four punches in boxing... that's why "5,6,7,8" refer to the same four punches, but to the body.

Again, I ask, what's the number for a straight right hand to the body?

All of this just interests me. I've never been in a tournament where my trainer or anyone was allowed to yell at me during the round (I think it may be a USA Boxing rule), so I've never gotten into any kind of numbering system. I win all my fights with the jab anyways.
      Mike's fights are full of Kevin Rooney at ringside screaming out combinations. I suppose the better side of having the D'Amato system rather than the traditional one is that at the time, no one else could have known which numbers were which outside of the Catskill camp, whereas a typical fighter who knew the traditional number system could possibly anticipate what's coming.

The 2 of the D'Amato number system is the appropriate right hand for whatever is applicable. If you're in close or you're in close and in a southpaw stance, it means right hook to the head. At medium-long range, it means right straight. Whether or not a fighter wants to land it on an opponent's body or head is up to them. Also, there is a 6 for a right hook to the body.

I will email Steve Lott or Teddy Atlas and ask them more.
      Last edited by GymRat; 09-04-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

thanks a lot for your answers.

does anyone know the combinations that were practiced over and over again? i mean like 7-7-2 , 7-6-1 etc.

i didnt want to start a discussion about the sense of this system.

Comment

Originally posted by phos View Post
          thanks a lot for your answers.

does anyone know the combinations that were practiced over and over again? i mean like 7-7-2 , 7-6-1 etc.

i didnt want to start a discussion about the sense of this system.
          Mike in his prime used a lot of:
          6, 4, 1
          6, 1, 2
          7, 2, 3
          7, 2, 5

That's some of what I can remember off the top of my head. Go to YouTube and watch him anytime before 1989 and see what other combinations he throws.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrovamp View Post
            Dude I don't think anyone cares about some dumb number system, that's not what got tyson to the top it was hard work, so stop worrying about that and go train or something.
            It is interesting. Kind of like how it's interesting to think about what kind of complex you must have to get that upset about something that's totally innocent and doesn't have anything to do with you... That's interesting to me..

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              It seems flawed in that it doesn't include a straight right to the body, yet it does include a right hook, which is not a punch that most boxers should learn.
              Have you never seen Tyson's most famous combination? Hook uppercut? He threw it nearly every fight even he was young..watch Tyson vs Jose Ribalta, that's the best Mike Tyson, against a guy with a great, great chin and can take a lot of damage. Tyson lands the hook--> uppercut many times. The hook to the body pulls the guys hands down, it's like a natural reflex or something, but watch when Tyson lands it, it opens up the guy perfectly for an uppercut.

Comment

Comment

watch round two of the tony tubbs fight...tyson buckles him with the left hook to top of his head.. rooney starts screaming numbers from the corner.. 7, 2. 7,2 . he also shouts midnight 2. tyson takes about 20 seconds to turn the fight on its head and win by k.o. he throws a right hook to the body to set up the uppercut, wrecks tubbs and finishes with a left hook to head (7). its good fight to watch because the crowd is sparse and rooney can be clearly heard.

on the point of this system being of any use, i think its a terrific way to teach a fighter to find angles as they work around their opponent. and to those above who trashed it completely you should realise d'amato trained tyson from about 13 years old. with rooney in his corner tyson went 35 fights, 35 wins , 31 ko's ...until don king fired rooney. should offer you some perspective on the worth of such a system

Comment

If you combine the number system/combinations with this footwork and head movement you can come fairly close to imitating the Tyson style:

It's as close you can get without actual hands on coaching from a Cus D'Amato disciple.
                    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 06-19-2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X