Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will PPV buys influence Mayweather's decision for next opponent?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    He may very well end up fighting in September. Admittedly I'm being the oddball predicting otherwise.

Floyd would book that arena because he can. It is no exaggeration to say he is the king of boxing in Las Vegas. And it wouldn't bother his conscience one little bit if he screwed over Golden Boy or Roc Nation and changed his mind. Yes, I think he would do it for kicks. I know that Floyd has cut it close before, but we're almost at the drop dead point for announcing a PPV for that date.

Mayweather is a very wealthy man now. He can pretty much fight who and when he likes. And once again my gut feeling is that he'll wait until next year (although the Top Rank lawsuit probably makes May-Pac II a no go for then).
    that's a interesting point. I don't think cotto cares about the date but canelo does.

I could see Floyd doing something like that, just to show who's the boss.

if Floyd doesn't announce an opponent by next week, there is no way cotto/canelo happens in September.

they gon need time to promote that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
      that's a interesting point. I don't think cotto cares about the date but canelo does.

I could see Floyd doing something like that, just to show who's the boss.

if Floyd doesn't announce an opponent by next week, there is no way cotto/canelo happens in September.

they gon need time to promote that fight.
      Some may have forgotten that the negotiations for the Canelo-Cotto fight fell apart at the end of last year. It is apparent that both sides have big egos and nobody is going to rush either of them into accepting a deal they aren't satisfied with. I'm sure Canelo wanted to fight on Mexican Independence day, but for the second biggest payday of his career he'll be more patient. None of us know what is really happening behind the scenes, but it seems that they haven't even agreed on a venue or a purse split yet. And if that's true they still have a ways to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepichardojr View Post
        Yes of which he had to split with hbo and manny. Lest not forget the few fights he had before many which didn't do as hot. Beside canelo and pac the ppv numbes weren't stellar. I cant imagine 2 fights making up for 4 of the six fight deal. But who knows you may very well be right.
        Even if you split it 50/50, Showtime, in essence, got to take their full fee off of a fight that did ~$200m in PPV revenue (their share of Mayweather-Pacquiao), after taking their fee off of a fight that did $150m in PPV revenue (vs Alvarez), two fights that did ~$70m (vsMaidana I/II), and a fight that did ~$60m (vs Guerrero).

Over the course of 6 fights where they locked themselves in to paying out at least $250m, Floyd Mayweather Jr has been able to generate (once everything is counted) ~$600m in PPV revenue over just the five PPV fights. Even after the distributors take their share, you're still talking about Floyd Mayweather Jr already bringing in the $250m (covering Showtime's guarantee) with another PPV event to go (which could do $50m in PPV revenue for Mayweather vs 147lb [anything with arms and legs])

Showtime has already made $40m-$50m off of their share of the PPV events, have already covered, in essence, their full liabilty to Mayweather, have another event to go, and that's not even counting all of the other residual benefits (more folks picking up Showtime to follow Mayweather, leveraging the Mayweather name into building CBS/Showtime's boxing franchise, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          He may very well end up fighting in September. Admittedly I'm being the oddball predicting otherwise.

Floyd would book that arena because he can. It is no exaggeration to say he is the king of boxing in Las Vegas. And it wouldn't bother his conscience one little bit if he screwed over Golden Boy or Roc Nation and changed his mind. Yes, I think he would do it for kicks. I know that Floyd has cut it close before, but we're almost at the drop dead point for announcing a PPV for that date.

Mayweather is a very wealthy man now. He can pretty much fight who and when he likes. And once again my gut feeling is that he'll wait until next year (although the Top Rank lawsuit probably makes May-Pac II a no go for then).
          I think you're crazy

I'll message you when it's announced Scott Which my guess will be this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            You've never heard of Andre Berto?
            Red flag lol

Comment

You know Floyd is going to fight Post #49 due to several reasons.

1) The new mgm grand arena will be completed in 2016, which he has invested his money in, and will have a grand opening in May of that year.
              2) He's going to break not only Rocky Marciano's boxing record but he will be set to make another record pay day.

Comment

Working...
              X