Facial width correlated with fighting performance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facial width correlated with fighting performance

In MMA fighters.... interesting.

Higher facial width to height ratio predicts fighting performance and perceived aggressiveness in MMA fighters

Vít Třebický, Jitka Fialová, Karel Kleisner, Jan Havlíček
    09/2013; In proceeding of: The Nordic Evolutionary Psychology Meeting 2013, At Tartu, Estonia

ABSTRACT Previous studies showed that facial width-to-height ratio (fWHR), which is considered as cue to testosterone levels, is associated with sport performance, aggression and homicide, although the evidence is often mixed. Recently we demonstrated that perception of aggressiveness is linked to success in physical confrontations. The findings were further supported by geometric morphometrics; individuals with higher proportion of fights won showed distinctive facial structures compared to less successful individuals.
    Here we tested whether the differences in fWHR are associated with the perception of aggressiveness and success in physical confrontation. Set of stimuli consisted of 146 portrait photographs of the MMA (UFC division) Caucasian origin professional fighters. Further, we obtained data concerning their weight class,
    number of fights and wins within UFC, and fWHR was measured (bizygomatic width scaled for distance between the upper lip and brow). Subsequently, 618 individuals (216 men and 402 women) assessed online randomized subset of 50 photographs on their aggressiveness using verbally anchored 7-point scale. Obtained ratings were converted into z-scores and analysed by means of bivariate correlations, partial correlations and one-way ANOVA. We found a positive correlation between fWHR and proportion of fights won. Further, perceived aggressiveness was positively correlated with the fWHR. After we controlled for the weight category effect, which also predicts perceived aggressiveness, the link between fWHR and perceived aggressiveness remained significant. Perceived aggressiveness positively correlates with fWHR in light-weights, trends in heavy-weights, but not in middle-weights. Our results bring additional evidence that fWHR as testosterone related morphological feature is connected with sport performance, fighting success and aggression, particularly in light-weighted males. Despite the fWHR is relatively crude
    measure (compared to more subtle morphometric methods) it still might be considered as important trait for inference of male aggressiveness.
    Also correlates with testosterone..

http://www.ehbonline.org/article/S10...027-5/abstract

i've read about studies conducted that demonstrate the nearly perfect ability of humans to evaluate upper body strength of men based on only seeing the face.

i'll see if i can find one when i get the chance. i've always felt it to be one of those subjects you don't need to look into. of course you can get an idea of a man's strength by looking at his head, face, and neck. there are lots of muscles in the face, big ones in the neck, and as pronounced a bone structure as you'll see in the face. we also look at faces all day, every day. we know our way around faces and necks.

the ability of both men and women to diagnose physical capabilities are biological. in the case of women, they look for desirable characteristics in men [height, strength/size, proper/athletic proportions.] men are diagnosing risk. that's only an opinion, of course.

i've been "sizing up" other men for as long as i can remember [cue a couple of insecure brits making a joke about this. i care not.] nobody taught me that. maybe i'm strange. i do consider myself a very good evaluator of physical talent.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      i've read about studies conducted that demonstrate the nearly perfect ability of humans to evaluate upper body strength of men based on only seeing the face.

i'll see if i can find one when i get the chance. i've always felt it to be one of those subjects you don't need to look into. of course you can get an idea of a man's strength by looking at his head, face, and neck. there are lots of muscles in the face, big ones in the neck, and as pronounced a bone structure as you'll see in the face. we also look at faces all day, every day. we know our way around faces and necks.

the ability of both men and women to diagnose physical capabilities are biological. in the case of women, they look for desirable characteristics in men [height, strength/size, proper/athletic proportions.] men are diagnosing risk. that's only an opinion, of course.

i've been "sizing up" other men for as long as i can remember [cue a couple of insecure brits making a joke about this. i care not.] nobody taught me that. maybe i'm strange. i do consider myself a very good evaluator of physical talent.
      Interesting stuff, there's also stuff like ring finger length compared to index finger length which is an indicator of testosterone exposure in the womb. Dudes with longer ring fingers tend to be fitter and it's been correlated with grip strength.

Most of the best boxers tend to have broad faces too, Mayweather and Pacquiao have broad short robust faces

Comment

Originally posted by True Alpha Male View Post
        Interesting stuff, there's also stuff like ring finger length compared to index finger length which is an indicator of testosterone exposure in the womb. Dudes with longer ring fingers tend to be fitter and it's been correlated with grip strength.

Most of the best boxers tend to have broad faces too, Mayweather and Pacquiao have broad short robust faces

test exposure in the womb? not sure i follow you, but it sounds like fun.

you really aren't pugly? kind of a disappointment. i won't lie. i'll still give you a chance, new guy, but i wanted to speak to my pugly.

some boxers at the top / historically have faces that look like f#Cking armor.

Comment

test exposure in the womb? not sure i follow you, but it sounds like fun.

you really aren't pugly? kind of a disappointment. i won't lie. i'll still give you a chance, new guy, but i wanted to speak to my pugly.

some boxers at the top / historically have faces that look like f#Cking armor.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Comment

Originally posted by True Alpha Male View Post

guess which digit is bigger on the robust new england?

Comment

guess which digit is bigger on the robust new england?

Comment

big feet = big D

Comment

Originally posted by mercadojglb View Post
                  big feet = big D

Big D = Big D.

Comment

Working...
                  X